cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AF1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Ongoing Device Net Disconnects

Hi, I  had issues for over 8 months with my Sky HD+ box losing its connection with the Smart Hub on both WiFi and Cable - sometimes twice a night - which is a known issue with Sky HD+ boxes.

Having been denied a new HD+ box because they don't have any or a Sky Q box, I cancelled my subscription and took out a new one.

The new Sky Q box did not cure the problem.

Following advice on the Sky forums I swapped the BT Smart Hub for a new Hub 5 off ebay.  All my Sky box disconect problems were solved.

However I now have another device disconecting and failing to re connect. And a device is being reported as disconnected when it is in fact connected in the router settings. Its a printer and it prints fine!

I havent had a Sky box disconnect in the past month since fitting the HUb 5 so it was obviously a faulty Smart Hub so I asked BT for a new Smart Hub.  They have refused.

I contacted Executive Level Complaints but received no response.

What should I do?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Ongoing Device Net Disconnects

Just use the HH5, forget about the HH6, or use a third party router instead.

0 Ratings
AF1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Hi Kieth

Thanks for the response.

However, as I said, I am having issues with the HH5.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

I have a hh6 with 2 sky hd+ boxes connected using power line adapters and never have any problems with losing connection and catch-up works without a problem. You can try again to get a replacement both from sky and/or BT 

failing that I would get a third party router and popular on forum is tplink 9970 about £30

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

@AF1 wrote:

Hi Kieth

Thanks for the response.

However, as I said, I am having issues with the HH5.

Some home hubs do seem to have issues with some devices. Investigations I did with the earlier home hubs, indicated that the DHCP table within the firmware, was just filling up with entries, and "forgetting" some devices.

This could only be fixed by a factory reset of the home hub, or in the home hub 1, a reload of a default configuration file.

I am not sure this issue has ever been fully addressed, as some people still get disconnects.

@imjolly has been lucky with his combination of devices, that he has no disconnects, but I think there may be two versions of the HH6 in circulation.

The only way to really prove whether it is a home hub and device incompatibility, it to try a third party router, like the £30 TP Link one, which I use.

I have never seen any disconnects on all of our devices here, or any our neighbour uses, connected to the guest network.

I have a mixture of Android phones and tablets, a Cannon printer, Fire TV stick, BT YouView box, and three different laptops.

My neighbour has all Apple stuff connected by wireless, and there have been no disconnects. I can see the wireless status screen on both maiin and guest networks.

Example showing connected wireless devices on main network

Example of devices connected to guest network

0 Ratings
AF1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Yes, a quick trawl shows there are loads of people having disconnects with HH6. 

Some have advised switching all devices off before factory reset, then switching Sky back on first. I did this with HH6 but have not tried it with HH5 yet.

Its a pain having to do factory resets what with setting, passwords etc.

My HH5 DHCP table is full of many legacy devices so I'll def do this.

Why does it need a list of disconected devices anyway?

When will BT a) admit this issue & b) sort it out?

I take it Keith that you think the HH6 or at least one version of it is defective and not worth persevering with?

How can we tell if we have the defective version?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

you can't tell if you have a faulty hh6 until you try it  there seemed a batch of problems at one time suggesteing a bad batch of hh6 but bearing in mind how many hh6 are in use they can't all be bad otherwise  it would be all over the press - and the HH6 I use works without a problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

@AF1 wrote:

My HH5 DHCP table is full of many legacy devices so I'll def do this.

Why does it need a list of disconected devices anyway?

They are retained in non-volatile flash memory, for reasons best known to BT. I think its the result of using some legacy SpeedTouch code, as this issue was also present in the home hub 1.

Eventually it fill up, and cannot accept any more entries.

You would expect the DHCP table to be cleared by a restart, but its not.

AF1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Keith said "bearing in mind how many hh6 are in use they can't all be bad otherwise  it would be all over the press"

I think there's a lot of people who never complaint and don't go on forums etc.  My son is one of them - he's on his fourth HH6!!

Dunno how he managed it - they won't give me a 2nd one!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

@AF1 wrote:

Keith said "bearing in mind how many hh6 are in use they can't all be bad otherwise  it would be all over the press"

I think there's a lot of people who never complaint and don't go on forums etc.  My son is one of them - he's on his fourth HH6!!

Dunno how he managed it - they won't give me a 2nd one!

It was @imjolly who said that, not me Smiley Wink

0 Ratings