cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 1 of 40

Online gaming lag

Hi I'm looking for some help as I'm experiencing lots of lag/latency in online games and it's stressing me out. I had the exact same issue with other isps so it's not my connection that's causing it. I've tried port forwarding etc everything. Checking ingame connectivity shows no problems, my ping is fine to the servers and I always have a 4 bar green bar ping bar. Why am I having problems with lag and latency? As this is a problem I've had on different isps the only thing I can thing if is a routing issue between me and the gamer server, and if so can anything be done about this? Other people in my area are having no issues whatsoever which is why I'm getting annoyed that I'm getting lag problems when my connection and ping are all perfectly normal. Please help xD
0 Ratings
39 REPLIES 39
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 40

Re: Online gaming lag

Wired or wireless  ? always used a wired connection if you want the best lag free result.

If wired one of the best things to check is interrupt moderation on your network interface card, disable it. Make sure you've not enabled jumbo frames, check  your MTU setting, I tend to go for a really safe value such as 1400.

What other ISPs have you tried ? unfortunately BT isn't probably a good ISP for gaming, there's loads of threads kicking around with users having lag problems, including myself.

You'll find with these lag problems that the BT connection has to be not used by anyone or anything else while gaming else you'll probably have lag problems. Open up resource monitor and check what's using your network, if there's something usiing a few K I'll kill it if possible.

google for 'TGP optimizer' that can help as well. Are you sure the lag is from your internet, if your CPU or graphics card aren't up to the job then you'll get something that looks like lag i.e. frame rate drops. Also the amount of RAM can cause problems - where your PC will use virtual memory i.e. disk swap file, so if you're low on RAM you'll also get something that looks like lag due to the OS having to move data in and out of the swap fille.

0 Ratings
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 3 of 40

I'm always wired. I don't play on pc I'm on console . You can't just say bt is bad, this issue isn't being caused by bt, this was also happening with other isps(virgin) and have friends that have no problems. It has to be a routing problem maybe a 3rd party that's routing my traffic to game servers. Hopefully someone from BT can help me with this. Online gaming is unbearable freezing and skipping occasionally
0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 40

"Online gaming is unbearable freezing and skipping occasionally" - welcome to my world 🙂

I guess there can't be much to go wrong with consoles, what about a factory reset for your console ?

Have you tried hooking up your console to a friends internet - would be worth knowing if it's your console or internet (that's the common factor that hasn't changed between ISPs), or another console hooked up to your internet to confirm you see the same issues.

Is it all online games ?

Have you got Wifi enabled on your hub / router - any chance someone might be messing with it ?

out of ideas 🙂

0 Ratings
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 5 of 40

Yeah I get lag in every game I play but it's more noticeable in games where I'm playing against other people like call of duty, madden, fifa etc in call of duty I can notice a big delay like I'm playing seconds behind other people's and In madden and FIFA the game occasionally skips although I do get games without any lag but this isn't a common thing. I also play GTA and occasionally my game freezes in place for like 3seconds and sometimes I get disconnected from everyone in the lobby. It's really weird the lag is more noticeable in PvP games but in pve games like division 2 etc I don't really notice lag besides enemies sometimes stuttering on my screen. My only concern is I had this issue on different isps as well that there's nothing that be can be done and I won't be able to play online games, well I can but when your lagging theres really no point
0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 40

Diagnosing lag can be a real problem, have you got access to a PC or laptop ?

Probably starting off with some pings might be useful that can show the lag, google for gametracker .com, this has lists of game server IP addresses. If you're talking about seconds than a ping would easily show that.

Also your lag could be lost packets, there again a ping would show that by a ping not getting a reply back.

Apparently my lag is going to be fixed by an engineer on Monday / Tuesday next week by making some adjustments at the cabinet and local telephone exchange, I'm sceptical but happy to be proven wrong.

On the BT webstite there's a basic line tester and if you google for 'BT report a fault', select broardband there's a more extensive test plus you can live chat to an agent as I did who will look in depth at what might be causing problems.

BTW was you on Virgin fibre or just Virgin that repackages the same as what BT offers ? If Virgin was just a rebranded BT / openreach offering then if your problem is due to signal quality to the cabinet / exchange resulting in dropped connections or error correction then both ISPs would have the same issue which will only get resolved by a line test and possibly a visit from a BT engineer. Also where you plug you hub into can make a massive difference - don't plug it into a phone extension always the master socket, plus having a old master socket can make a big difference i.e. lack of filtering resulting in a bad broadband signal.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 40

ooops double post - sorry about that 🙂

0 Ratings
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 8 of 40

I was on the virgin 350mpbs package and since I was having nonstop lag/latency issues I decided to try a different ISP and issues still occurring. I used to do traceroutes the results were usually fine all the way to about hop 8/9 where I would see 120ms plus pings obviously I don't know what this means but someone pointed out to me that this a 3rd party issue with how my traffic was being routed to the game servers. I'll have to run some more traceroutes and post them on here and see if someone can help diagnose issues
0 Ratings
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 9 of 40

Also I just had my services installed on Wednesday but there's a delay to them getting my phone activated but for some reason my broadband is working. Why is that? I though the phone line had to be active for the broadband to work? Strange. Could that be a reason that's causing it?
0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 40

mo idea about your phone, wouldn't have thought that would make a difference, if you're hub is connecting up and you can pass to and from the internet then I'd assume that's on and working.

Ok well Virgin 350 should have been fibre to the home - proper Virgin, so your BT will be FTTC, so an entirely different physical connection, either way I'd get your phone line checked out from the BT side to rule that out.

I've been with BT for many years and not noticed an overly bad gaming experience until very recently (last month or so) - althogh in  a few games on occations I felt my shots weren't getting registered - which could be packet loss or something, I'll be checking from now on.

Yeah so a 120ms ping on the last hop suggests something outside of your ISP in which case many other gamers would be getting the same lag, in fact you do need to watch out for other gamers lagging, as in they've got the lag problems and not you but from your perspective it can easily be perceived as you've got the connection problem.

I would be a little careful of tracert seeing as not all hops will respond perfectly or at all, really what matters is the ping to the destination. I'd recomend 'ping tracer 1.8', it graphs all the hops over a time peroid, it's really easy to see all the hops at the same time, any spikes and packet loss.

So I can only really suggest you get your line checked out for drops, errors i.e. a bad quality signal, then do some ping traces to get a clear idea of what the lag looks like - is it dropped packets, is it spikes, or long periods of a higher ping.

If you're convinced it's a routing problem then you could try a VPN or the various companies that claim they can find a better route to the game server such as wtfast - there's quite a few alternatives, I've no idea if these would work with a console. I guess you could use a laptop or PC with the software on and so internet connection sharing.

I tried one recently and it made my ping even worse...

0 Ratings