cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 21 of 40

Re: Online gaming lag

Do you get ping spikes even when you don't game ? I get ping spikes at least 5 times during the day from 15 ms to 400 ms 

0 Ratings
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 22 of 40

Yep. On the dsl website they show you a real time ping. When the test is running it normally starts out good at 23-30ms ping times but as the test goes on my ping times start going really high, ping times like 400ms and higher and when the test is about to finish the ping times go back to normal again. From what I've read, this is a classic symptom of blufferbloat where the router can't cope with processing so much data traffic. Only your router can fix blufferboat apparently which is why im thinking of buying my own router with better features but like you said, I don't want to buy a expensive router if it doesn't fix the problem. 

0 Ratings
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 23 of 40

Just been on live chat with BT explaining the issue and as my connection is fine, there's nothing can be done. Crazy thing is, i have friends in my area with BT and have no issues whatsoever, just me.

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 24 of 40

I get a bufferbloat rating of a C and D but I'm still not sure it's bufferbloat. I also get ping spikes when someone is watching YouTube and any streaming website.

0 Ratings
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 25 of 40

In that case buying your own router with QOS feature will help you as you can prioritize how much bandwidth every device using ur connection gets. Just assign it so you get bandwidth priority

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 26 of 40

I don't know why I should buy a new router where I'm paying for an internet connection that says perfect for gaming and low latency. I never had any issues with ping spikes or anything, this stuff started happening a recently. If it was a bufferbloat then surely I would've noticed that my ping is bad, there are many threads about lag spikes so this issue is within BT core network. 

Anyway can you regularly update the thread when you get a new router as we have similar issues ?

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 27 of 40

The ping issues arent caused by Buffer Bloat in many of the cases here. I have and Edge Router and have tried with harsh QoS (40% of bandwidth reserved) and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to ping, but obviously improves buffer bloat.

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 28 of 40

@h3x1e do you get ping spikes when someone is streaming or even without someone streaming cause I'm actually lost. 

For example the pattern that my connection seem to follow: ping spikes at 10 am ish then fine until 2 pm, ping spikes at 9pm-10pm ish then ping spikes late at night. I did a Tracert to Google so could you help me please as I don't even know how to read Tracert.  These readings are taken during a ping spike.

•  

Untitled.png

0 Ratings
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 29 of 40

my ping is fine. But im having issues with high latency in online gaming, particularly in call of duty where its most noticeable. In game connection meter shows my ping at 40-50ms and 0% packet loss which is why im confused about my latency issue. Since you have your own router, does it make a difference to your gaming experience compared to the isp default router? I want to try my own router but don't want to buy one if it doesn't make a difference.

0 Ratings
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 30 of 40

Yes. Im going to try my own router to see if it fixes my latency problem and I'll update the thread

0 Ratings