cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Only getting 100mbps Ethernet

Go to solution

Can anyone assist, I have a BT Smart Hub, use BT Broadband Extender Flex 500 , the fastest speed I get is 100mbps for the ethernet, but yet when I plug it in direct to the Smart Hub it goes to 1.0GBPS. I know the Flex has 500mbps maximum, but I have yet to see this

I have changed the cables to Cat 7, and no joy. Set the speed on my laptop ethernet card to 1gbps, laptop can easily take it, only a couple years old, thinking of getting a new TP-Link extender.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Regards

Jim.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Only getting 100mbps Ethernet

Go to solution

The data rate between the two units is 500Mb/s, but the ethernet speed is only [Ports • RJ45 (IEEE 802.3 10 / 100 Mbps)]

See page 2 at https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/help/legacy-ug/broadband-and-wi-fi-devices/Broadband%20Extender%20...

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Makes sense seeing that got hung up on the 500mbps, guess I need a new extender with the correct port speed.

Thanks for this

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

I would only replace them if it's actually causing a problem, 100Mb/s is more than enough for BT TV

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Also, I think there are a lot of variables when it comes to these extender type things.

I've tried a few with gigabit ports and with relatively new mains wiring in the house, even with testing with sender and receiver units plugged into the same double wall plate, I could only get a maximum of 250 Mbps.

I don't know what experience other people have, but I guess don't be surprised if you do get a pair with gigabit ports and still don't see 500 Mbps.