cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Open VPN Sever - very slow with FTTP (Infinity 2)

Hi,

I have BT FTTP with Infinity 2 (19Mbs Upload).  I live overseas for a significant part of the year so like to access my home network and internet connection whilst I'm away.

I have an Linksys LRT214 acting as my DHCP which is also running an Open VPN server and Cisco IPsec and PPTP.  When I establish a client to server OpenVPN within the network i'm getting around 10mbs up and down, however, from outside the LAN i'm only getting around 2mbs. This doesn't matter if I'm on a 5bar 4G connection or halfway around the world on ADSL.  I can't for the life of me work out why this speed should be the same inside and outside of the LAN.  The LRT214 is capable of around 56Mbs throughput on OpenVPN and PPTP and around 120Mbs on IPsec so it isn't a CPU/server limitation.

Is BT throttling certain UDP / TCP ports?    Is anyone able to remove this restriction for for me if this is the case.   I'm only using the connection for domestic home browsing (ie. my home network is domant whilst I'm away)  I'm just wanting to run the normal amount of traffic over it whilst I'm away.

TCP 443, TCP 943, UDP 1194 are the ports I'm specifically requesting.

Any advice or information would be greatly recieved. 

Regards,

Alex

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Open VPN Sever - very slow with FTTP (Infinity 2)

Not sure if anyone will be able to help, as FTTP is dealt with by a special team.

Have you tried calling the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Thanks Keith,

I'll give them a call an ask.   I don't supose you know an geographical 01 number for them do you?   I'm currently overseas.

Fingers crossed there might by a forum member with some advanced network config / vpn knowledge.

thanks,

Alex

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

@alexjtaylor82 wrote:

Thanks Keith,

I'll give them a call an ask.   I don't supose you know an geographical 01 number for them do you?   I'm currently overseas.

thanks,

Alex

I have asked a moderator to see if they know another number. FTTP is not a product they deal with.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 9

Hi @alexjtaylor82,

Unfortunately the only number we have for the FTTP team the 0800 one.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Do you set the MTU on the client or OpenVPN server? The MTU over the broadband with PPPoE will be slightly lower than you would get on the local LAN. Maybe the overhead of PPPoE, PPTP and any security (IPSec?) is causing fragmentation and so affecting performance.

If there's a way to reduce it that a shot and see if it helps.
0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 7 of 9

For remote access vpn you normally change MTU on the adapter interface of the client. This is due to vpn overhead trychanging it to 1300 see if that helps. Unfortunately not possible on android or iOS though.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Thank you. I'll give that a go and report back.

This would explain the fact I was only get 2Mbs whilst on a 4G connection in the UK on an IOS device.

I'll adjust the client MTU when I get home.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Would modifying the Opvn file with an 'mssfix ????' Value work on IOS? I'll start with something like 1400 and work my way up in 10's
0 Ratings