cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Goonerchump
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Openreach FTTP modem - Ethernet connectivity

Hi there, I have a query regarding FTTP in a new build and so far have completely come unstuck with establishing if there is a solution!

We recently moved in to a new build house and were connected really quickly with our BT broadband, big thumbs up to Openreach & BT. The WiFi throughout the house is fantastic and extremely reliable.

I now have a requirement to have a wired connection to my laptop when I am working from home and I'm trying to establish the most pain-free and efficient way of achieving this and fingers crossed not need to run a massive cable through my house.

So I have the Openreach modem installed in a cupboard just inside the door, I gather this is quite standard for new builds, and the BT hub set up and tucked away in there too. In my lounge I have a series of connection points for TV etc that are all wired into the walls, and one of these connection points appears to be for an ethernet cable. I tried to simply connect a cable to this port, and into my laptop but this provides me with no network connection. I was wondering therefore if there is something I need to do back at the modem/router end to enable me to connect to a wired LAN using the installed ports?

I'd really like to avoid running a 10 metre cable from the cupboard all the way through to my loving room if I can avoid it!

Hopefully this all makes sense and might be something people have answered before, any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm happy to post up some pictures of the set up if that helps too.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Openreach FTTP modem - Ethernet connectivity

The Ethernet socket in the lounge is presumably cabled to a patch panel adjacent to your hub/ONT. You need to connect a patch cord from one of the LAN ports on the hub to the socket that goes to the lounge. If there is no patch panel near the hub, you can use powerline adaptors to extend the LAN port of the hub to the lounge.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

0 Ratings
Goonerchump
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I do have another ethernet port just above where the modem is installed, so do I need to connect something into that to make the other port in the lounge work?

Sorry for sounding like such an amateur!

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

You need to discover where the Ethernet port in the lounge is cabled to and then connect an Ethernet patch cord from one of the LAN ports on the hub to that socket as in the diagram I posted. Hopefully it is cabled to the socket near the modem. If it is cabled to somewhere else it will be of no use to you.

0 Ratings
Goonerchump
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the additional info. So I've looked round the house and there are actually only 2 of these ports around the house, one in the lounge and one in the cupboard where the modem is located.

I've connected a cable to the port in the cupboard and connected that to the back of my BT hub, and then an ethernet cable from the port in the lounge into my laptop...it seems to recognise it as a LAN but states 'no internet access'.

Does this mean I need a different type of cable/additional equipment or the ports aren't actually active?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Are you sure it is an Ethernet lead and not an RJ11 lead you have connected between the hub and the port and that you connected it to a LAN port and not the DSL port?

Secondly, what leads you to the conclusion that the laptop recognises the port as a LAN port?

Of course it is quite possible that the ports aren't wired at all or incorrectly wired.

0 Ratings
Goonerchump
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

I'm using a 'Cat 5 Patch' cable for both connections.

To be honest I've just assumed that the port in the lounge recognises it as a LAN as it came up on my network settings but then said there was no internet access...so I wasn't sure if I'd hooked everything up correctly or needed different/additional wires & equipment to get this all joined up?

I'm assuming it might just be easier to run a super long ethernet cable all the way from the hub to the lounge now even though that seems like it could be avoided in theory with these ports etc!

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Just to eliminate your patch leads, connect your laptop to the hub directly with each patch lead in turn. If they both work ok it points to the 2 ports being incorrectly wired. If you have a look at the Ethernet sockets in the lounge and adjacent to the hub they should have all 8 connectors wired with the same colours in each number connector at both ends. Something like this.

Image result for ethernet socket wiring

0 Ratings