Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanCannon
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Options for adding QoS to home network.

Go to solution

Do I need to replace the router?

We have a lot of wifi devices in the home, from phones to tablets, to laptops, NowTV box, TV itself, steam link, etc.

Would a wifi switch that treats the current homehub as an external router be a reliable and viable alternative, or should I just replace the homehub completely?

If I do replace the home hub, how simple is it to set up a new router to connect to BT headache free?

It's been a long time since I've had to manually set up a network as the home hubs have generally been just fine and work without any fuss, so any advice on an ideal setup regarding router and switch would be much appreciated.

Generally speaking, I'm not looking at spending over £100 if it can be avoided.  Happy to get a quality product, but this is just for home use.

context if anyone is still reading and needs more info:

Spoiler
I've noticed my ability to play online games as slowly gotten more intolerable over the past few years, our internet hasn't improved any with no upgrade options available in the past 10 years (it's still 40mbs down, 10 up), but when anything is streaming or if someone is uploading anything to Backblaze, Dropbox or Youtube (which is often), then ping regularly spikes close to 200ms, if not over, at which point I might as well be trying to game on dialup from the 90s.

My wife is also looking at setting up a multi-PC master/slave setup using distributive computing software for her work, I assume this would benefit from having those PCs on their own small switch. 

It's my assumption that most of the issues are from her systems, but I don't want to rule out wifi
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Options for adding QoS to home network.

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Easier to replace the router.

Here are a couple of suggestions which have QOS and bandwidth controls.

TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL about £67

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR400.html#specifications

If you only want single band wireless, then this one.

The TP-Link TD-W9970 for about £40 or less.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html#specifications

They both work will all BT services, including BT YouView, and are very easy to connect to BT Broadband.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

the current popular replacement modem/router for hub is the tplink 9970  there are numerous people who can help if need  or you can go for the next router up in tplink series

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
IanCannon
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you both for the replies.

I'd certainly prefer to stick with dual-band, thank you for making it clear that the W9970 is only single band.

Is it possible to repurpose the homehub as a switch if I get a new router?  or would I be better off buying a standalone 4 port switch for £20?  I'd rather not have to run 3 wires through the house to the router, so a switch would let it remain as just the one wire once the extra systems are set up.

Some of the better router models don't seem to have a built-in ADSL modem, if I want more control/CPU power devoted to QoS (it's my only reason for changing), would the home hub function fine as just a modem?  Or should I ensure that anything new covers both?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

The home hub doesn't have a modem only mode, nor would I advise using it as a switch.

0 Ratings