cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Options for mesh network with Fibre 900 - Zyxel, Eero, Google, Orbi, BT?

hi all,

I have just had Full Fibre 900 installed.

I have been supplied with Smart Hub 2 with the following connections at the back: Broadband; USB; Gig Ethernet 1,2,3 and WAN

SmartHub2_Back.JPG

The WAN port is connected to the Nokia ONT with these connections: ON/Off; Power, PORT, Optical.

ONT.JPG

Seems to be working as standard and as expected...wireless speeds are pretty poor unless close and this was one reason I previously moved from BT to Virgin. Found i have to force (preferred) my PC network card to join only on 2.4Ghz as preferred because it kept dropping on one particular room. I went with virgin and their speeds on wireless were even worse, so i purchase Zyxel Multy X and I put the Virgin hub into modem mode. All works pretty good all around the house now. Everythign connects to the correct frequency and good speed.

Now ideally i would use the Zyxel Multy X with BT. Previously asked and someone said plug direct into the ONT.
I havent tried yet but hopefiully this will work. One quetsion is will there be any security risk with this or funcitonality loss? i.e. does the Smart Hub 2 give me any security I would be missing from MultyX?
OR should i do as someone else said and use The Zyxel in bridge Mode and will trhis be better and remove any security risk? What are the pros/cons to the connection direct or via the Smart Hub 2?

Now an the additional question too.
BT sent two essential Phones as my own phone will not work with newe Smart Hub. I guess i need to use the Smart Hub to make/get Phone Call or is there another way via a connection to Zyxel, BT Smart Hub 2 etc that would work?
Or can i use any other phones at all that would work as VOIP?

Also which port would i connect Zyxel to if connecting in bridge mode (if not firect to the ONT)?
Also, what is the broadband port for?

And finally tot he actual question...which mesh system is suitable to use with BT Smart Hub 2 to get decent speed all over the house, that I can buy, if the Zyxel isnt going to work. Ideally with tri band

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

T

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Options for mesh network with Fibre 900 - Zyxel, Eero, Google, Orbi, BT?

@T_UK wrote:

Now ideally i would use the Zyxel Multy X with BT. Previously asked and someone said plug direct into the ONT.

Correct
I havent tried yet but hopefiully this will work. One quetsion is will there be any security risk with this or funcitonality loss? i.e. does the Smart Hub 2 give me any security I would be missing from MultyX?

No, the SH2 doesn't give any extra security
OR should i do as someone else said and use The Zyxel in bridge Mode and will trhis be better and remove any security risk? What are the pros/cons to the connection direct or via the Smart Hub 2?

Now an the additional question too.
BT sent two essential Phones as my own phone will not work with newe Smart Hub. I guess i need to use the Smart Hub to make/get Phone Call or is there another way via a connection to Zyxel, BT Smart Hub 2 etc that would work?
Or can i use any other phones at all that would work as VOIP?

Unfortunately, you can only use the digital voice phones with the SH2

Also which port would i connect Zyxel to if connecting in bridge mode (if not firect to the ONT)?
Also, what is the broadband port for?

And finally tot he actual question...which mesh system is suitable to use with BT Smart Hub 2 to get decent speed all over the house, that I can buy, if the Zyxel isnt going to work. Ideally with tri band

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

T

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Options for mesh network with Fibre 900 - Zyxel, Eero, Google, Orbi, BT?

thanks liquorice.

I think you may have been the person that replied before about using direct to ONT.

everyone else - Have any other community member any the both SH2 and other mesh wifi to make sure the phones still work?

Has anyone else purchased BT discs to make it work and does it work as a full mesh?

Just looking for options to make everything work but essentially without a terrible wifi signal I currenlty get from SH2.

Anyone else used another mesh system in bridge mode? how was it connected?

thanks

T

0 Ratings