cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Orbi RBR50v2 slow wifi speeds from BT Smarthub 2

Go to solution

Hi Folks,

Hoping to tap the hive mind here, we've recently had BT FTTP installed with a lovely 500MB pipe but I am struggling to get my Orbi RBR50v2 to deliver speeds above 90MB. The wireless on my BT hub is delivering 480MB but I'm keen for security and coverage to get my Orbi to take the load instead.

I've placed the Orbi in to Access Point mode which hasn't made a difference, I'm guessing there is a throttle somewhere and suspect it is in the BT Smarthub, be grateful if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get my Orbi delivering the new connection speeds?

I did try and connect the Orbi directly to the openreach ONT on the wall but it didn't recognise any internet at all at that point

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Orbi RBR50v2 slow wifi speeds from BT Smarthub 2

Go to solution

Switch smart set up off on the SH2.

The Orbi should live happily connected directly to the ONT.

You will need to use the user name bthomehub@btbroadband.com, password bt.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Steve - so helpful, sorted, just need to try and work out how to get my Essential Digital Home phones to connect to the Orbi now . Thank you so much!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@jonesnow wrote:
Steve - so helpful, sorted, just need to try and work out how to get my Essential Digital Home phones to connect to the Orbi now . Thank you so much!

@jonesnow That is not going to be possible unless you use the Smart Hub 2 which has the DECT base station inside. The BT phones are DECT not wireless and only work to the Smart Hub 2.

Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks Steve, I found someone who has done it here https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-with-different-Router/td-p/20... but I thought they still connected wirelessly, I didn't realise they were DECT, hoping to earn some geek credentials and try and get it to work!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Okay. I run my Orbi as a router ethernetted to the SH2 (to keep my DV going). The Orbi used like this deals faultlessly with my max line speed - 150mbps.

Wifi is switched off on the SH2. Make sure smart setup on the SH2 is disabled.

This does result in a potential problem of double natting, but for a non gamer like me this is not a real problem.

Try it - it would avoid having to use the configuration you have referred to. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks Steve, turns out I am going to need to try this when I get home. I forgot the SmartHub runs the Bt HD phones we have now to replace our line so will need to go back to the SmartHub as router and Orbi as access point so I need to get both to play nicely with each other that way round. We play a lot of games in our house, is there a way around the double Nat issue you mentioned?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Steve,

My setup is similar. My smart hub2 is on, the smart setup is off and the SH2 is connected to the Orbi system.

On the SH2, I am getting 500mb, but on the Orbi it's still the same as before, not more than 150mb.

I have restarted both since I got a new speed two days ago. I use digital phones provided by BT, so I would need to continue using SH2.

Any help is much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

To clarify you have ONT->SH2->Orbi?

Unless you really wish to use the SH2 wifi I would switch it off.

Can you connect a device by ethernet to the Orbi - what speed does that give?

0 Ratings