cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhamkum
Message 1 of 7

Our BT network is using someone else's network - constantly dropping out

Our BT network is very slow and constantly dropping out. We were told to log into the BT Smart Hub manager and here we found that the name of the network we were connected to was different to the name of the hub. BT customer service have provided no solution to this problem, would appreciate any help on this matter.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gibbylinks
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Our BT network is using someone else's network - constantly dropping out

The name of your network should be on the back of the hub labelled as SSID, working from memory because I'm not at home, but I'm sure the password is also there.

It should also be on a small "business card" that came with the hub.

If you are connecting to BT-FON then this is part of BT's network that is public and shared to all their customers, by their routers, and because it's shared it won't be fast and could have drop outs.

You can't really complain about it being slow if you aren't connected to the correct network.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

if you are in any doubt then press the recessed button on the back and hold for 20/30secs until lights flash and that should be hub back to factory setting like it just came out the box

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
JMB
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Windows PCs do usually go back to the previously used network when you switch them on (though you cannot guarantee it) but Android mobile phones always seem to connect to BT-FON by default and have to be manually connected to the correct network.

----
MB
----
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

@JMB wrote:

Windows PCs do usually go back to the previously used network when you switch them on (though you cannot guarantee it) but Android mobile phones always seem to connect to BT-FON by default and have to be manually connected to the correct network.

I have an Android phone and tablet and it is very rare for them to connect to BTWifi-Fon if I am in range of my home network and they do not need to be connected manually at anytime.

0 Ratings
JMB
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

@gg30340wrote:

@JMBwrote:

I have an Android phone and tablet and it is very rare for them to connect to BTWifi-Fon if I am in range of my home network and they do not need to be connected manually at anytime.

My phone goes onto BT-Fon most times when I switch WiFi back on at home.

----
MB
----
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

It is not a "default" setting as you have stated. It may be a problem on your phone.

If you are using the BTWifi app make sure you have ticked box in the app settings to automatically connect to your home hub when in range.

If that is selected you should go into the phones wireless network settings and "forget" any connections to BTWifi-Fon. 

0 Ratings