cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 70

Outgoing connections on ports 22 & 23 blocked?

Go to solution

Recently subscribed to BT broadband Unlimited Extra service.  I find I can't connect out to external servers on ports 22 & 23 (ssh & telnet).

I am using the BT-supplied SmartHub router but have also tried with an ASUS DSL-AC88U with the same result.

Just to be clear - this is OUTWARD connection, where the default router firewall setting is to allow all outward connections.

I have checked this behaviour against an external server and also using portquiz.net. In both cases the connection just times out without connection.

I have tried the following to narrow down the issue:

1. Disabled router firewall - makes no difference.

2. Disabled PC firewall - makes no difference.

3. Tried from multiple client PCs and also mobile/tablet - makes no difference.

If I connect via the O2 4G network (from an iPhone or a PC using personal hotspot) then I can connect OK on ports 22 & 23, so the issue is not with the client PC.

So either the routers (both BT & ASUS) are blocking outward connections on ports 22 & 23, even with the firewall off) or BT are blocking the connections somewhere in their network.

I called BT Tech Experts who (after a long and irrelevant discussion about port forwarding) said that their network does not block these ports.

Does anyone else have this problem, or can anyone suggest something I haven't tried?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
69 REPLIES 69
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 70

Re: Outgoing connections on ports 22 & 23 blocked?

Go to solution

Telnet works fine for me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 70

Go to solution

Are you on the BT Unlimited Broadband Extra package with a copper connection?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 70

Go to solution

I'm on Infinity1 with a copper connection. Broadband package will have no bearing on the problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 70

Go to solution

Do you have something like NetProtect enabled?  Browsers by default don't like trying to use these ports for outgoing communications.  Had a friend try to connect to my server, I changed the port to 22 both on the server and in the router first and then to 23 after a successful connection using 22.  23 worked as well.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 70

Go to solution
Don’t have Netprotect. I’m using a Telnet client from a command window, not a browser.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 70

Go to solution

Can you post a traceroute to bbc.co.uk just to see if it sheds any light on the issue?

Perhaps also another to the destination you are trying to reach, please?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 70

Go to solution

Here's a tracert to portquiz.net which I use to test port accessibility. Couple of timeouts but basically works.

Capture1.PNGIf I issue a command "telnet portquiz.net 80" it works fine - opens an http connection. Same with most other ports.  But "telnet portquiz.net 23" (or 22) doesn't open a connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 70

Go to solution

Are you sure that site supports telnet on port22, I can't reach it but I can telnet to rainmaker.wunderground.com

on port22.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 70

Go to solution

No, can't telnet to that site either on 22 or 23

0 Ratings