cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Own DNS on Business Hub 5

I was trying to get pi-hole set up as my dns server and bought a business hub 5 off ebay as you can set your own DNS (unlike the homehub 5 which I already had from BT).

My pi-hole is at 192.168.1.65 on a static address and I can ping it from the business hub. I can also set it as my DNS from individual devices on my network and it works as expected.

I disconnect the Internet using the Business Hub GUI and reconnect it specifying 192. 168.1.65 as DNS. I can't get any internet after that and get DNS errors instead and I also can't ping the Raspberry Pi any more from the Business Hub.

I've tried plugging the Pi directly into one of the hubs ports but it doesn't help, it just seems to lose connectivity when specified as the DNS.

Does any DNS address have to be upstream of the hub ? I can't work out what the problem is, a factory reset of the hub didn't make any difference.

I realise that I could probably fix this by making the pi-hole DHCP server as well but I just want to know what's going on.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Own DNS on Business Hub 5

Unless you have specified 192.168.1.65 as the DNS server on all your devices, they will just get DNS information from the DHCP server (the hub). As far as I'm aware, you can't point the hub to an internal DNS server, it will automatically look to the WAN for DNS.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Not sure if the business hub supports NAT loopback or whether this will work even if it does. Try pointing the Hub at your public IP address as the DNS server and then forward port 53 to 192.168.1.65

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

As far as I'm aware, you can't point the hub to an internal DNS server, it will automatically look to the WAN for DNS

Thanks, I did wonder if the DNS had to be upstream. 

I thought I'd seen people on here talking about using pi-hole without making the Pi the DHCP server as well as DNS but maybe not then.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Did you ever solve this?

Am looking to do the same with this router and pi-hole and would appreciate your experience.

0 Ratings