cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Own router settings with ADSL

Go to solution

Hi there,

I'm just about to have broadband installed at my property and I'm being supplied with a BT Home Hub 4 (fibre isn't available in my area).

Having read up a little bit about these particular modem routers, I'm not convinced it's going to give me the best signal and / or coverage so I'm looking into the possibility of buying a branded modem router instead.

I would just like to know if anyone can provide the settings information I may have to provide the new router with in order to get it to work with BT, ie, username, password, encapsulation, VPI, VCI, etc...

Many thanks in advance,

Ben.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Own router settings with ADSL

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

I can give you specific information for a very popular modem/router, the The TP-Link TD-W9970.

This works very well on ADSL, and gives good wireless coverage.

The Home hub 4 is actually quite good on ADSL, but I am not sure what the wireless coverage is like, as it only has internal wireless aerials, and has very limited configuration options.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi keith,

Sorry, I should have perhaps already said I have found a router that tickets all the boxes in the Asus DSL-AC68U AC1900.

Do the settings differ much between routers?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@hasburyhughesy wrote:

Hi keith,

Sorry, I should have perhaps already said I have found a router that tickets all the boxes in the Asus DSL-AC68U AC1900.

Do the settings differ much between routers?

People normally use that one on VDSL, as its a bit over the top for ADSL. It also has problems with BT YouView.

It probably has a configuration wizard anyway.

VPI = 0

VCI=38

ADSL uses PPPoA. (Point To Point Protocol Over ATM)

If you use a different router with ADSL, then you need to make sure that the authentication is set to PPPoA.
You can use a user name of broadbanduser@btbroadband.com and a password of bt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Awesome! Thanks for that Keith!

I don't envisage ever using a BT YouView box tbh. I'm happy to use Now TV or something along those lines.

I appreciate your comments regarding VDSL vs ADSL - my expected download speed is around 10mb, but I probably won't even get that - the price of living out in the sticks! However, that paricular router is praised for its range and signal strength as well as it's intuitive UI.

If I'm still struggling with range, even after the installation of a branded router, I plan on adding a WAP.

Also, can I just query the username? I'm sure someone else here suggests bthomehub@btbroadband.com?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

The login is generic, and  will work on any BT Broadband connection.

I cannot comment on the wireless coverage, but any router which has external aerials is going to perform better than one with internal aerials, as external aerials normally have signal gain.

Adding a wireless access point is one option, if you have a property with thick walls.

If you do not want to run Ethernet cables, then the BT Hotspot 600 devices work quite well, using the mains wiring.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

OK, thanks Keith.

So, to confirm, settings will be something along these lines:

If I'm asked does the router require a login, enter: YES

Encapsulation: PPPoA

Login / username: broadbanduser@btbroadband.com

Password: bt

Idle Timeout: 0

Internet IP address: Get dynamically from ISP