cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Own router with FTTP

Just switched from virgin GIG1 to BT FTTP 900 I’m using my own router a Linksys velop and on Wi-Fi I’m not getting the full speed I’m only getting around 500-600 can anybody advise why? When using virgin I used to get the full speed via Wi-Fi. 

have done a speed test to the router and I’m getting the full speed direct to the router just not on the Wi-Fi. 

thanks 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Own router with FTTP

What device are you using to test the wifi speed?  As you are getting the full speed over a wired connection and are using the same router I wouldn't expect any difference over wifi though most devices would struggle to achieve over 600Mbps even with Wifi 6.

Message 3 of 5

I used to get around 950 on wifi with my phone or MacBook but now only getting 550-600 same devices same router 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

On the Macbook hold down Option key and click on the Wifi icon - what does the Tx rate say?  Apple devices only support 80MHz channels so I would expect the Macbook to show a maximum 1200Mbps if it is a 2x2 MIMO device - this would give a max of around 940Mbps in perfect conditions at close range.  I test using the OpenSpeedTest app running on another PC to rule out issues with the router.  I can get 940Mbps with my Unifi 6 Pro access point at close range which is the maximum for 1Gbps ethernet.

Message 5 of 5

More often than not im getting around 300mbps download on my macbook now getting a fast ping on speedtest. tried plugging into ethernet with my puck and i get 920mbps since switching to bt from virgin and switching the router from dhcp to pppoe the wifi seems to have slowed down massively when checking on speed test. still good speeds though

0 Ratings