cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helja
Message 1 of 4

PC Ethernet connection issue

I have been connected to my Home Hub 5 via Ethernet and power line adapters for two years without any issues until this week. I have now lost my wired internet connection because 'the network adapter 'local area connection' does not have a valid IP configuration', according to Windows Diagnostics. I have not changed the IP configuration. I have reset the Home Hub, turned off the power line adapters and removed and reconnected the Ethernet cable to no avail.  BT have been no help because they tell me that there is no issue with the hub, despite the fact that I have told them the exact issue. Can anyone tell me what the IP configuration should be and where do I enter it. I am running Windows Vista (don't laugh, I know I should upgrade!!)

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: PC Ethernet connection issue

Welcome to this customer to customer forum. @Helja

Try assigning a static IP configuration to the PC.

To set a static IP address:

1. Open Windows Start menu.
  2. Open Control Panel.
  3. From the list on the left, select Classic view
  4. Open Network and Sharing Center
  5. From the list on the left, click Manage Network Connections.
  6. Right-click on the connection you use and select Properties.

This opens the Properties window.

1. In the Networking tab, highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP v4) and click Properties.

This opens the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP v4) Properties window.

1. In the General tab, click Use the following IP address, and enter:
    - IP address. The static IP address you want to assign to this computer  (use 192.168.1.50)
    - Subnet mask. Subnet mask used by your router. (use 255.255.255.0)
    - Default gateway. IP address of your router's default gateway. (use 192.168.1.254)
  2. In Use the following DNS server addresses, (use 192.168.1.254)

See if that helps.

0 Ratings
Helja
Message 3 of 4

Hello Keith

Thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately it's hasn't connected me although it now has lost the invalid IP message and just tells me that there could be a problem with the router although I know this not the case. I have tried plugging the same Ethernet cable into a laptop with Windows 7 and get the same problem and have also tried a different Ethernet cable just in case it was the cable and get the same results. I don't know what else to try. 

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 4 of 4

Have you tried connecting directly to the HomeHub instead of the powerline adapters?

0 Ratings