cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dorsetyahoo
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

PC can see BT router but no internet - Win 10 update problems?

I look after a few computers for old folk around here and I have had a couple of people call, me saying that their computers have stopped getting internet access. They were all on BT. I did all of the usual stuff about resetting and reloading and it made no difference.  I was beginning to wonder if the wifi controller in one laptop had packed so I decided to see if an external wifi dongle would work. I loaded the drivers for the new dongle and before I inserted the actual dongle I noticed that everything was now working ok!

Another PC had the same problem but this one was directly wired to the router with an RJ45 cable, I loaded the wifi dongle drivers and lo and behold the cable connection started working!

I then found this
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/09/mysterious_windows_10_networking_bug/   

If Microsoft do send out a fix for this I wonder how people will be able to download it?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: PC can see BT router but no internet - Win 10 update problems?

@Dorsetyahoo wrote:

I look after a few computers for old folk around here and I have had a couple of people call, me saying that their computers have stopped getting internet access. They were all on BT. I did all of the usual stuff about resetting and reloading and it made no difference.  I was beginning to wonder if the wifi controller in one laptop had packed so I decided to see if an external wifi dongle would work. I loaded the drivers for the new dongle and before I inserted the actual dongle I noticed that everything was now working ok!

Another PC had the same problem but this one was directly wired to the router with an RJ45 cable, I loaded the wifi dongle drivers and lo and behold the cable connection started working!

I then found this
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/09/mysterious_windows_10_networking_bug/   

If Microsoft do send out a fix for this I wonder how people will be able to download it?

Interesting post.

I found in the past, before the HH6 2232 update, that a plug-in wifi dongle could "fix", or improve the internet access problem.

I had forced a driver update to the pc's internal wifi controller, but this did not help. It's probably device specific.

I've had no problems at all recently, after going through various steps. Now on 223E.

However:- If you are referring to the latest Windows 10 update, there was a KB3201845, which came through today, 9th Dec. (It was not available yesterday morning!).

Be careful with this update.

It takes up to 50 minutes to install, and it's easy to lose patience, thinking that it's failed. So you could easily be tempted to shut down.

Even after the restart it takes time to complete installation.

There's an information bulletin from Microsoft as to what is involved with the update.  

And... when you check disk fragmentation, be prepared for more time to defrag.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 3 of 15

This is why I always disable windows update on every new installation.  MS have a habit of breaking things.  I prefer to look after my own security and fixes.

I admit not particularly helpful in this case, it's too late, damage is done.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 15

@Liam_ wrote:

This is why I always disable windows update on every new installation.  MS have a habit of breaking things.  I prefer to look after my own security and fixes.

I admit not particularly helpful in this case, it's too late, damage is done.

Not quite sure what you mean by a new installation.

But, as you advocate in your other posts, you don't use a BT Hub either.

Totally irrelevant post, or comment perhaps?

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 15

Being honest I haven't read much on this, but I have to admit I'm struggling to understand why this MS 'bug' would only affect BT and Plusnet users.

The BT hubs use the dnsmasq application for DNS and DHCP, as do many other home routers, so why wouldn't more users the world over be affected?

Regards

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

The Windows 10 "bug" doesn't just affect BT or Plusnet. It apparently affects a few different ISPs and it does not affect every user. None of the PC's and Laptops that I have updated have been affected.

If you do a search for the update number KB3201845 you will find a few different sites discussing it.

It should also be kept in mind that this update was only released on 9th December so any problems with wireless or Internet connections prior to that date can have nothing to do with the Windows update.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 15

@smf22 wrote:

Being honest I haven't read much on this, but I have to admit I'm struggling to understand why this MS 'bug' would only affect BT and Plusnet users.

The BT hubs use the dnsmasq application for DNS and DHCP, as do many other home routers, so why wouldn't more users the world over be affected?

Regards

Good response.

Windows 10 is slowly sorting out it's bugs.

The idea of disabling Windows 10 updates is fraught with problems, though....Unless you consider your PC to be a disposable item, as with other products......Smiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 15

The Register has a few suggested workarounds to get the connection here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/09/mysterious_windows_10_networking_bug/

(I'm glad I stuck with Win7)

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 9 of 15

A possible fix for the DHCP issue.

From command prompt.

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

No idea if it actually works, it's supposed to.  Can't verify as I didn't have the problem.

0 Ratings
Wyvern
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

And for Android and iOS devices similarly affected I do what? The problem coincided with a Smart Hub firmware update and has repeated on the replacement Hub that BT sent 2 days ago. The HH5 works as well as ever so in my case I am confident that its a BT problem; and no, I am not going to assign fixed IP addresses to all my devices. they are portable and will be used on other family networks from time to time.
0 Ratings