cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robisagis
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

PS4 lag while wired and bufferbloat issues

Hi I have been with BT for a little while now and first month and a half with BT was nothing short of exceptional with games on my ps4 and internet had no issues what so ever.

However after roughly a month and half my internet went to absolute garbadge. My gaming on ps4 any games online lag. I have tried using bt smart hub 2 but its just bad and it has no qos.

I'm currently on G.fast. I have been given mt992 modem compatible with G.fast so I have attempted to use my own equipment this includes Netduma R1, Asus RT66uB1, Xr500 and ubiquiti edgerouter x. From which none can solve the bufferbloat issue which is that my ping can spike anywhere from 1-200+ms when running tests on dslreports.

I have tried using my laptop and even brought an ethernet adapter for my phone to make sure it wasn't just my laptop and those ping spikes persist. Funny thing I noticed if I play games on ps4 such as warzone and bo4 my ping meter in game shows that my ping will randomly dip from around 30-40ms to low 20ms which makes no sense before my ping used to be stable with only a couple ms variation.

I have ps4 hardwired and so all my tests run hardwired I read that something called G.INP. Can buffer packets before sending them off maybe that's why my bufferbloat tests sometimes spike as high as 200ms? I mean I have attempted to even throttle my internet speed to 10mbps down and 1mbps up and those spike during test still persisted. I'm on 100/10 contract but I get 147.5/29.5 and max that was said on the smarthub was around 350+/80+.

I have tried all the basic trouble shooting steps including trying test socket different micro filter different cables, I use cat6 screened shielded twisted pair to connect my devices on lan and I have absolutely no clue why it just became so gbad currently I'm working with customers executive complaints but they are taking extremely long time to respond and now their waiting for open reach to respond.

Also I have issues with any real time applications including voip calls and video chats they seem to cut out for a little bit or pixelate on constant basis and my wifi channels are set to literally empty channels and when I switch to mobile data that no longer happens. I was just wondering is it possible for DLM to cause this? Or maybe anyone on here know anything that could atleast point me in the right direction? I mean I literally pay £40 for me to get frustrated when trying to play games literally after my contract put me in the ETC zone my internet just became horrible it surely isn't by any mean right?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: PS4 lag while wired and bufferbloat issues

All I can say is that we have G-Fast running through the BT Smarthub and also have a PS4 and have zero issues with online gaming, streaming apps, VoIP etc ..  

Every post I see about lag etc on PS4, people are always using 3rd party routers etc 

0 Ratings
robisagis
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Well I have used the BT hub or attempted to but it will not allow me to opt out from the BT wifi hotspot nonsense and still same issues persist, so no it's not my equipment, and considering my equipment worked perfectly before then one day it all just stopped is clearly indicative of an issue somewhere else.

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

The BT WiFi nonsense doesn't actually interfere with your bandwidth as your traffic will always take priority over anyone using your hub as a hotspot. It's also totally secure so nobody can hack you through a Fon connection. It also comes in very handy if you're out and about and the mobile signal is a bit sketchy because chances are they'll be a BT WiFi hotspot nearby that you can hop on to