cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

PS5 Wired Internet Connection

Recently moved into a new build house and the Wi-Fi is not good enough to use for my PS5. I do not have an Ethernet port in the lounge and so cannot connect to the PS5 using this. However, there is a port that will fit one of the telephone wires and I have been told that I can connect my PS5 to the internet using this. I have since bought an ADSL micro filter and then an RJ11 to RJ45 cable to go from the filter to PS but this does not allow me to connect to the internet. Can anybody confirm if it is possible to use the telephone port to connect my PS5 to the internet at all and if so what components do I need exactly please? Appreciate the help in advance! 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: PS5 Wired Internet Connection

You can't do that. You need to run a Cat5e or better Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

I thought that was the case, but had an electrician come round and they said there was a way to do it. Am I right in thinking there’s no way of just converting the telephone port into an Ethernet port either? Our router is in an under stairs cupboard a long way from the PS5 so getting a new Ethernet port wired in is going to be a big job

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

A pair of Powerline adapters may do the job depending on your mains wiring. Just don't expect to get anywhere near the speed on the box!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

I have tried the Powerlink adapters in an old house and they didn’t really seem to do anything. Is it true they only really work if the two plug sockets are on the same wiring? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

They need to be on the same circuit I believe. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@Snath94wrote:

I have tried the Powerlink adapters in an old house and they didn’t really seem to do anything. Is it true they only really work if the two plug sockets are on the same wiring? 

They will certainly work best that way but not always necessary. I'm running a pair to feed an access point for the AV gear in the lounge & the router is in an upstairs room. As your router is downstairs then it's almost certainly on the same ring main as the PS5, so should be fine. What they really don't like is extension leads, especially those with surge protection.

Plenty of group test type reviews out their if you Google & if you buy from somewhere like Amazon, you know you have easy return if they don't work out for you.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for your help! I’ve ordered the TP-Link TL-PA7017P from Amazon so will give them a try and hope for the best!
0 Ratings