cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Packet Loss, Rubber Banding and Slow Ethernet speeds

Hi,

For the last year or so I've been trying to troubleshoot and fix my wifi. We get speeds of 80/20 which is perfect for everything I love to do including gaming and streaming. I have a custom-built PC which I use a tp-link USB dongle for my wifi. It has no issue receiving the speeds we have however when playing a game such as "Warzone" I've been experiencing packet loss and rubber banding. These issues come in short bursts that last seconds throughout a game but as you can imagine it can be incredibly frustrating over time.

I did some research and port forwarded my hub which helped a lot however the problem still persisted. I since then decided maybe it's worth buying the BT wifi extender 600 so I can use ethernet to prevent any packet loss. Unfortunately, that hasn't worked either. When I first used the ethernet cable I was getting speeds of 45/18 which was perfect and experienced no packet loss at all, however when I returned later that day and all 4 of us were home my ethernet speeds weren't getting past 10. I tested it with my tp-link at the same time to see if it was a hub issue but that seemed to be working perfectly reaching the 80/20 we get.

I'm the only person in the house that would be using ethernet so I'm confused as to why it's so slow? I did some research online and one person mentioned the sockets being faulty so perhaps replacing that could help improve speeds?

I'm at a real loss here as these minor inconveniences are causing real pain for me and I just want to somehow fix all this. If anyone has any solutions or ideas to help me I'd greatly appreciate it.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Packet Loss, Rubber Banding and Slow Ethernet speeds

Hi @rzqd  welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to see you're having problems with packet loss.

Can you post your Home Hub router stats and we'll take a look? You'll get them by entering 192.168.1.254 in your browser, if you have a home hub 5 please go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if its a Smart Hub go to advanced settings then technical log information. 

Also if you could post some traceroute test results and ping plotters showing the packet loss it may help us to understand where the issue is located.

Thanks

Neil

Message 3 of 3

Re: Packet Loss, Rubber Banding and Slow Ethernet speeds

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your reply! Here's the stats:

Product nameBT Smart Hub 2
Serial number2040112316
Fireware versionv0.24.04.11017-BT (Sun Nov  1 22:23:06 2020)
Board versionR01
GUI version1.71 05_06_2020
DSL uptime2 days 0 Hours 42 Mins 43 Secs
Data rate20.0 Mbps / 80.0 Mbps
Maximum Data rate31.4 Mbps / 82.9 Mbps
Noise margin13.4/3.4
Line attenuation5.7/10.6
Signal attenuation5.6/12.5
VLAN id101
Upstream error controlOff
Downstream error controlOff
Data sent / received2.1 GB Uploaded / 2.1 GB Downloaded
Broadband usernamebthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-FiActive
2.4 GHz wireless network nameBT-NSASXK
2.4 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel11)
5 GHz wireless network nameBT-NSASXK
5 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel36)
Wireless SecurityWPA2 (Recommanded)
Wireless modeMode 1
FirewallOn
MAC addressE4:75:DC:83:99:05
Software variant-
Boot loader 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

As for the traceroute and pingplotter, how would I do this? Completely new to all this

Thanks

Rory

0 Ratings