cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 61 of 67

Re: Pages of TR69 ConnectionRequest Failed

Forgot to mention my firmware is 223E. I also changed my wifi password or should I say the hub made me to change it in the previous firmware update
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 62 of 67

@Dippu wrote:
Forgot to mention my firmware is 223E. I also changed my wifi password or should I say the hub made me to change it in the previous firmware update

Sorry,

Yes, 223E here.

Previous firmware 2232, forced a passkey change.

A BBC news article, which appeared today prompted this post.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 63 of 67

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38208958.

Note the point that if someone has stolen the WiFi password, and the article makes no mention of BT routers, they would have to be outside your home to do any more damage.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 64 of 67

@smf22 wrote:
See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38208958.

Note the point that if someone has stolen the WiFi password, and the article makes no mention of BT routers, they would have to be outside your home to do any more damage.

Would think that any router is vulnerable.

Especially those with a good wireless range, to extend beyond your driveway.

Do you have the Smarthub?

Must say that the only hubs I can detect on my my Laptop, are BT hubs, smart, or otherwise.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 65 of 67

I think only ISP routers are targeted because ISPs use TR69 for configuring CPE.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 66 of 67

I don't think this is a big risk.

Routers configured for TR069 might give out the WiFi password, but the attacks that might collect them are most likely not UK based.

Then there's the value vs. the effort to take any attack to the next level. If someone goes to such lengths to get my password, then figure out where I live, then park up outside my house.... what do they get? Not much.

The reality is that devices in people's homes are being targetted primarily so they can be used as the source of an attack on much richer pickings.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 67 of 67

@smf22 wrote:
I don't think this is a big risk.

Routers configured for TR069 might give out the WiFi password, but the attacks that might collect them are most likely not UK based.

Then there's the value vs. the effort to take any attack to the next level. If someone goes to such lengths to get my password, then figure out where I live, then park up outside my house.... what do they get? Not much.

The reality is that devices in people's homes are being targetted primarily so they can be used as the source of an attack on much richer pickings.

Thanks, Dippu and smf22.

I can't post the BBC news link on the iPad  mini - too fiddly.

However, if you read into the article, it all makes some sense.

Wireless was hopeless after that 2232  firmware update.

I couldn't make the 2232 firmware to load until the passkey was changed. - That and some other actions.

You can't take a simple news article to be 100% accurate, but it fits in with the passkey change requirement.

Are BT smarter than we think?

And yet there are still complaints about the Smarthub wifi range. ironic. Lucky if anyone can detect your Hub outside!

0 Ratings