cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Paid prioritization

Does BT Provide Paid prioritization to the likes of Netflix and other streaming platforms. Because lately I’ve found my Ping/latency spikes massively when these streaming services are been used. But when running a VPN with these services my Ping/latency becomes much more stable. Please could someone shed some light on this because surely this can’t be right, especially for the gaming community that relies on ping.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Paid prioritization

After reading through the Ofcom regulation’s

• Under EU rules, broadband providers must treat all internet traffic on their networks equally, and not favour certain websites or services.

So surly Netflix can’t be given a fast lane and priority over everything else. But I can’t understand when streaming Netflix with a VPN on and gaming my connection is much more stable. Without a VPN it’s useless for gaming?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 4

@mrgoldfish1 we don't provide paid optimisation but there have been other reports of similar problems with gaming and streaming at the same time and the Mod team will be happy to take a look at your connection. I've sent you a private message with details explaining how you can get in touch.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for your reply, I’m already in contact with BT about this.

All seems very strange to me that a VPN which encrypts web traffic from an ISP will give me a stable ping, but without a VPN I get ping spikes.

It looks very suspicious that certain streaming services are getting some type of fast lane to prioritise there traffic. If this is true and I’m only speculating would this not come under Net neutrality.

0 Ratings