Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
neildunn
Message 1 of 6

Pending Ultrafast upgrade + Google WiFi

Go to solution

Hello all, seeking your kind advice.

My current setup is an OpenReach White Modem with a Google WiFI mesh setup, with copper to the home.

I recently initiated an upgrade from Superfast to Ultrafast. On the phone the BT sales person re-assured me that an engineer visit was a simple trip to ensure our line can support the guarenteed speeds but after reading more closely online and in BT's documentation I belive the engineer will actually be making a breaking change at the cabinet to switch us to G.Fast, and hooking up the new Ultrafast Smart Hub that was delivered to our house today.

My concern is that they'll make the breaking change at the cabinet, come to the home, try and setup the new hub, and I won't be able to turn the hub into a modem only mode and continue to use my Google WiFi setup, which I have been infinitely happy with and includes some complexity (mesh extended with ethernet cabling to my garden studio).

Any advice would be much appreciated, shall I cancel the upgrade? Can I trust the engineer will understand enough of my current setup? Would the engineer be carrying modems that support G Fast? Can I get the new hub to play nice with the Google WiFi setup?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Pending Ultrafast upgrade + Google WiFi

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

You would not be able to turn it into a modem only, so your Google WiFi could only be used in the wireless access point mode, if that is possible. You may lose things like the ability to do port forwarding. Look on the Google forums.

I am not aware of any separate modems that support ultrafast, but someone else on the forum may be able to advise.

Openreach do not supply modems any more.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

The Huawei MT992-10 is a G.fast modem.

I believe Openreach supplied this modem with early installs, not sure if they still do now the SH2 is available which supports G.Fast in one box.

neildunn
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the help both. It turns out the OpenReach engineer was able to setup a new G.fast compatible modem for me, so everything worked seamlessly. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Good result.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6