cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tuitui22
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Phone interfering with the wifi....any solutions?

Hello All,

I wonder if anyone could suggest an alternative to a setup I would like to fix.

In our house there is a cable that is split into 2 by a little plastic box : an ADSL microfilter.  The problem we are experiening is that when the phone rings , the wifi is cut off and the router restarts.

I have looked it up and it seems it's a problem with the channels.  I put the router on Channel 10 and it was alright then, but the quality of the signal suffered.

When speaking about this with an IT programmer this person told me he could barely remember this technology, which seems to be outdated by 15 years at least.  It is a fact that in the very begining of internet we used the phone cables...

My question is: which better technology should we go for to get internet in the house? thanks!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
tuitui22
Beginner
Message 2 of 15

Re: Phone interfering with the wifi....any solutions?

Does no one at all know...?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

@tuitui22 wrote:

Hello All,

I wonder if anyone could suggest an alternative to a setup I would like to fix.

In our house there is a cable that is split into 2 by a little plastic box : an ADSL microfilter.  The problem we are experiening is that when the phone rings , the wifi is cut off and the router restarts.

I have looked it up and it seems it's a problem with the channels.  I put the router on Channel 10 and it was alright then, but the quality of the signal suffered.

When speaking about this with an IT programmer this person told me he could barely remember this technology, which seems to be outdated by 15 years at least.  It is a fact that in the very begining of internet we used the phone cables...

My question is: which better technology should we go for to get internet in the house? thanks!

Microfilters are still in use also changing wireless channels will not solve your problem

you need to try anther new filter as they do go faulty over time

0 Ratings
tuitui22
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Oh thanks!  We actually did buy a brand new filter and the problem was still there.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

you still use your phone line to provide your broadband service wireless is only provided in your home from the router

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Can you hear any noise on your phone line ?
0 Ratings
tuitui22
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

No the signal on the phone is clear.

It's just that each time it rings the router restarts and we loose the wifi.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

you have a phone line fault called a high resistance joint not a broadband fault 

NeilO
Message 9 of 15

@tuitui22 It does sound like a high resistance fault if the router reboots when the line is in use, it's nothing to do with your wireless signal. 

Can you try connecting the hub and phone in your test socket using the new filter to see if that makes a difference?  

test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
tuitui22
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Are you sure? is this a fault with the line?
0 Ratings