cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Phone works but broadband doesn't, even in test socket

Help! My phone works fine but no broadband, even when both are plugged into the test socket inside the master socket (NTE5). I've tried everything - changed the microfilter, changed the cable to the router, switched router off for 30 seconds and back on again, even did the reset on the router (HOME HUB 4). Get blue light for about 10 seconds, then flashing orange, and finally end up with solid orange light every time. I've had no choice but to book an engineer but wouldn't surprise me if they somehow make out it's my responsibility and sting me for £130 call out fee! Anyone had any experience of this, know how to fix or at least confirm it's BT' s responsibility not mine? As I'm using the test socket I can't see how it could be my fault, but who knows! Thanks a lot.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Phone works but broadband doesn't, even in test socket

Although you confirm your phone service works, it may be worth ( if you haven't done so already ) checking the correct number is present on your 'line', easiest way, dial 17070 and check the correct number is read out , assuming it is, and you have no broadband service, it's likely to be faulty broadband equipment , either your router , or the exchange equipment ( assuming its regular ADSL not FTTC broadband) or your line has been converted back into an ordinary line ( an admin error , ceasing the broadband when you didn't request it, or an engineering error , disconnecting broadband from your line )
If your HH 4 is faulty , it's possible that calling OR out to confirm that could raise a charge ( after all OR didn't supply the router, which will be out of warranty anyway) , but I would have thought your ISP ( BT Consumer ) would be aware of this , and would possibly , in exchange for a new minimum term , supply you with a new router on request,  if you don't want to enter into a new minimum term, then you could source a different router yourself.
If it's a faulty ADSL port in the exchange you are connected to, then obviously you shouldn't get charged for the 'lift and shift' of your line onto another ADSL port

I would have thought the ISP customer service rep should be able to use diagnostics to pinpoint where the problem is , ( the exchange or at your home ) reducing the chance of you having an unneccesary , and therefore chargeable OR visit

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks very much, Iniltous, very helpful.
I called 17070, as you suggested - it's the right number.
I did ask the BT rep if the problem might be my router, but she said that if the problem was the router then her diagnostic process wouldn't have recommended that I get an engineer out. Admittedly, I'm not sure precisely how she confirmed the router was working ok, she just seemed to be following some script or other, no technical knowledge. Should I be able to confirm myself whether the router is the problem by borrowing someone else's which I know works and plugging it in?
Thanks a lot
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

this tells you what the lights mean http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10282/c/346

you could try another hub and see if that works - the username and password are generic so no need for any changes

as long as you still are in a fixed term contract with BT - not rolling monthly - then your hub will be replaced free by BT if it is faulty

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thanks a lot, very helpful, will try out another hub tomorrow, just in case
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 6

@adiamantine post back and let us know how you get on with the different router. 

0 Ratings