cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
codykullar
Beginner
Message 1 of 29

Ping Jitter from 20ms to 250ms every 5 seconds on Fibre Broadband.

Hi, I'm currently experiencing high ping jitter on my broadband. I generally get around 46mb/s internet connection through fibre. However, whenever I play video games I am getting these huge ping/lag spikes from 20ms to 350+ms every few secondds, which makes it impossible to play online games. Can anyone help, Thanks in advance. Cody.

Ping Jitter Today.JPG

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 29

Re: Ping Jitter from 20ms to 250ms every 5 seconds on Fibre Broadband.

Is this jitter observed on both wired and wireless?
0 Ratings
codykullar
Beginner
Message 3 of 29

I'm only connected to the HUB via wired, which is more stable. I haven't tried wireless.

Update: My ping seems stable during games normally with zero ping fluctuation.

However, if I stream or netflix on the computer while playing a game I get those ping spikes. Is there any way of prioritizing games over netflix with the BT Hub? I've searched for QoS but it's not there.

7mb is apparently enough for 1080p/60fps viewing, and gaming only takes around 80mb a hour. So if I have 45Mb internet (speedtest confirms) why does my ping spike to massively?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 29

@codykullar wrote:. Is there any way of prioritizing games over netflix with the BT Hub? I've searched for QoS but it's not there.

7mb is apparently enough for 1080p/60fps viewing, and gaming only takes around 80mb a hour. So if I have 45Mb internet (speedtest confirms) why does my ping spike to massively?

It cannot be done on the home hub, but it can be done on some third party routers. The cheapest is about £40.

Upload speed is also a factor, as even though you are streaming data, uploading is taking place to control the bit rate from the server, and for TCP acknowledgements.

codykullar
Beginner
Message 5 of 29

I get 10mb upload speeds, dota apparently takes up 80mb every 45 minutes. So that shouldn't be an issue, should it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 29

@codykullar wrote:

I get 10mb upload speeds, dota apparently takes up 80mb every 45 minutes. So that shouldn't be an issue, should it?

What is dota?

The answer is not to stream video while gaming.

0 Ratings
codykullar
Beginner
Message 7 of 29

That's a really poor and dismissive answer. Saying that you can't do two things at once on the internet is a lazy and untrue comment when we're dealing with these relative applications. 55Mb is advertised for multiple devices in the house. If someone is watching youtube on their phone on our internet, you're saying that I have to wait for them to finish before I play a online game? Or vice versa, if i'm playing a game absolutely nobody can watch videos online? If my internet in 2009 was capable of doing both, then this one should be too.

Gaming takes up a tiny amount of upload bandwidth (around 80Mb per 45 minutes) and I have no buffering issues when multiple devices are watching netflix, so the download is fine. My old house had 75mb Virgin Media Internet with 5 people in the house and this ping instability never happened. So I can only conclude that maybe there is a priority issue with the connection, or the line is unstable. 

Also, when this other person commented on this thread saying he had the same issues, why did you move him. Picture attached.moved.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 29

Its not an upload bandwidth issue, its a response time issue. If another device is uploading data, then its going to affect other devices that expect a fast response time, like gaming

The home hub does not assign any priority to a specific device, although multicast streams originating from the BT Vision servers, are given priority over the BT core network.

You may get better results using a router that can assign priority to specific devices.

I cannot comment on your old VM service, as they use a totally different technology.

See what other forum members have to say.

0 Ratings
Mattlisa81
Beginner
Message 9 of 29

Re: Pinng Jitter from 20ms to 250ms every 5 seconds on Fibre Broadband.

Was thinking why they moved me my self m8 and I'm getting bad jitter when only using one device connected by wired still getting loads of jitter been getting this for about 2 weeks now beofr that i never and a ping or jitter problems
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 29

Re: Pinng Jitter from 20ms to 250ms every 5 seconds on Fibre Broadband.

@Mattlisa81 wrote:
Was thinking why they moved me my self m8 and I'm getting bad jitter when only using one device connected by wired still getting loads of jitter been getting this for about 2 weeks now beofr that i never and a ping or jitter problems

Hi @Mattlisa81

Sorry for the confusion.

Your post was moved to create your own discussion.  Although the symptoms you are experiencing are similar, the cause may be different.  Having your own thread keeps the conversations separate just to avoid any confusion more than anything else.

Please post on your own thread where you'll get the best advice Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings