cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Ping/Latency spikes for 3 months straight

Please please PLEASE someone help. For a non-stop 3 months i have had constant oing/latency spikes that aren't going away. Before 3 months ago, my connection was honsetly perfect. Nothing has changed in my house and i have had an engineer check everything is okay eg internal wiring and he said it was fine. This is my 3rd post now and have been unable to find a fix. I feel like i have tried everything eg silent line test etc etc. I am on my 3rd formal complaint with bt who have been no help. The only correlation seems to be that this seemed to come when i upgraded to superfast fibre plus. I'm paying £85 a month for this & bt sport and honestly i don't know what to do anymore other than switch isp. Please help it would be appreciated, thanks.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Need help regarding latency issues

Hi for the past 2 months i have been unable to play video games as an issue has come about regarding latency. In any game i play my ping is constantly bouncing between 20 and 300, causing massive lag spikes and making it unplayable, i have called customer support multiple times but they dont have a clue and so have had to file a formal complaint however bt have not got back to me yet. 

As for a few details im using the smart hub, i use wired connection on my console and pc and i have done everything that seems obvious eg port forwarding etc. Please someone help as this is so frustrating 

0 Ratings
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Ping spikes

Hi, I have made a few posts but no one seems to have got back to me. This was my previous post, can anyone help me?     ' Please please PLEASE someone help. For a non-stop 3 months i have had constant oing/latency spikes that aren't going away. Before 3 months ago, my connection was honsetly perfect. Nothing has changed in my house and i have had an engineer check everything is okay eg internal wiring and he said it was fine. This is my 3rd post now and have been unable to find a fix. I feel like i have tried everything eg silent line test etc etc. I am on my 3rd formal complaint with bt who have been no help. The only correlation seems to be that this seemed to come when i upgraded to superfast fibre plus. I'm paying £85 a month for this & bt sport and honestly i don't know what to do anymore other than switch isp. Please help it would be appreciated, thanks. '

0 Ratings
BellamyCS
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Re: Ping spikes

I've actually been having almost identical problems as you over the same time period. I've tried everything bar changing router and have actually ordered a change in ISP as nobody has been able to help. But they have been delayed so i'm still with BT until March and the problem is still present. I reckon its a bufferbloat issue (you can use this: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest to test for it) but i don't want to upgrade router to fix it as i'll be changing soon. If you do find a fix or something for it though would appreciate a response. 

0 Ratings
kmensforth1990
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

ive had the same issue since being upgraded to superfast fibre as well, all BT seem to be interested in via the tech support channels is the speed im getting and dont give a **bleep** about stability or packetloss... from the tests ive done though it seems to be an infrastructure issue, have a look at my issue and see if its the same thing?

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Random-ping-spikes-on-fibre-connection-gaming-a...

0 Ratings
Elya
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Exactly the same experience here. Each time I speak with customer support over the phone, they just keep reiterating that the SPEED is fine and that's "the only thing we guarantee". Yet this is clearly a not uncommon issue that people are experiencing. It's completely ruining my use of the internet in my home as I cannot play online video games as I will simply lag and warp everywhere.
0 Ratings
kmensforth1990
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Hey guys, so I read somewhere that someone with a similar issue bought a new modem/router and it fixed his issue, so I bought a new one myself:

TP-Link ARCHER VR400 AC1200 Wireless VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

So far so good, all devices connected to it and stable 31ms pings to valve gaming servers without any freakish spikes.

Still think it's disgusting that BT are offering free line upgrades when their hardware can't support it and expect the customers to foot the bill for a new router/modem.

0 Ratings
kmensforth1990
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

cancel what i said in this, cant seem to edit the comment, new router hasnt fixed the issue but has highlighted the possible reason why, just been on the phone to a really kind customer support agent and explained my situation, told me the max speed of my line was 60mbps and he did a line test and then told me that i was getting speeds of 78mbps, i've asked if there was a way to slow down my speeds as surely this could cause instability to which he made a complaint and forwarded it to the offline team? will report back when they get back in touch!
0 Ratings
Elya
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

I can't imagine that you'll need to have your speed downgraded, that seems like such a disappointing fix considering the prices that we are paying for these services.

Let me know how it goes either way, any sort of information on this issue will be helpful.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

@kmensforth1990 wrote:
 just been on the phone to a really kind customer support agent and explained my situation, told me the max speed of my line was 60mbps and he did a line test and then told me that i was getting speeds of 78mbps, i've asked if there was a way to slow down my speeds as surely this could cause instability to which he made a complaint and forwarded it to the offline team? will report back when they get back in touch!

I would love to know where the "kind customer support agent" got that the "max speed of your line was 60Mbps" and it was a problem because you were getting 78Mbps. If your line could not support that speed it would not deliver it. 

Please keep us updated how the complaint to the offline team gets progressed.

0 Ratings