Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 15

Re: Ping spikes

I've done alot more research and it seems this is more than likely a bufferbloat issue as suggested by @BellamyCS however the only fix for this seems to be to invest in a router which has qos/anti bufferbloat which is ridiculous as this shouldnt be the case with such a major isp, especially when other isp are not having this problem.

0 Ratings
kmensforth1990
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 15

the router im using has QoS and has literally no impact for some reason, and from what ive seen from doing a bit of research a few other providers do have the issue but seem to actually act on the problem and fix it on their side, BT just give the standard 'your speeds are fine answer though.

offtopic: I did notice though that when the network is idle or just gaming then i get the high ping spikes however if i start a large download then my average ms increases but the ping spikes disappear so not sure if im poking at the right bear when asking for my speed to be decreased to match the line estimate?

edit: with regards to my 'im receiving too high of a speed' i tend to think of it as a ferrari (data) going down an old country lane (my 60mbps line) at 150mph (78mbps), ye you could probably do it but the ferrari is going to have issues and fall apart along the way? (if that helps make it any sense at all)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 15

@kmensforth1990 wrote:

edit: with regards to my 'im receiving too high of a speed' i tend to think of it as a ferrari (data) going down an old country lane (my 60mbps line) at 150mph (78mbps), ye you could probably do it but the ferrari is going to have issues and fall apart along the way? (if that helps make it any sense at all)

No it doesn't!

In an attempt to see if it is a local/ device problem or a BT network problem have you tried disconnecting everything that is using your broadband connection, PC's phones, tablets, powerline adaptors etc. Then connect your PC directly to the Modem/router by Ethernet and ensuring that it is not doing any cloud backups or system updates etc to see if you are still getting the problem. If you are, disconnect the PC and connect another device such as a Playstation and see if the problem is still there. 

0 Ratings
kmensforth1990
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 15

yup done all that, ive made my own post and can happily send you the link in a dm (so i dont hijack this 1) so you can have a look over it?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 15

@kmensforth1990 wrote:
yup done all that, ive made my own post and can happily send you the link in a dm (so i dont hijack this 1) so you can have a look over it?

I have replied on your own thread.

0 Ratings