cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Ping Spikes/Gaming lag when using a streaming service on another device eg. Netflix

Hi, 

I've been experiencing ongoing issues for months with massive gaming lag and ping spikes any time a streaming service like Netflix is being used on another device making games like Fifa totally unplayable. Openreach has visited to investigate but following his speed and line tests coming back satisfactory he was totally dismissive of the issue and told me I had to 'live with it'. I did not have this issue with my previous broadband provider Utility Warehouse. 

• This issue occurs ONLY when something is being streamed and consistently EVERY time
  • I'm using a PS5 plugged directly into the BT hub via ethernet cable with no adapters 
  • I am on the Fibre 1 package with minimum guaranteed speeds of 35mbps
  • Speed tests are returning an average of around 37-38mbps
  • Ping tests show intermittent ping spikes consistently of over 100ms while streaming

Any ideas? Appreciate it. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ping Spikes/Gaming lag when using a streaming service on another device eg. Netflix

I'm having the exact same issue and have the same internet package as you. If I find a solution I'll let you know!

Message 3 of 6

Re: Ping Spikes/Gaming lag when using a streaming service on another device eg. Netflix

Thanks Brad, I will do likewise! 

Message 4 of 6

Normal useNormal useWith NetflixWith Netflix

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi @m99wym, thanks for posting the pingplotter results. We wouldn't treat ping under 100ms as a spike. 

We'll be happy to have a look at your connection to see if there is anything we can do to help you with this. I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with us.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

I was having the same issues - was getting a really bad ping spike every 90 seconds or so to about 800ms. Made game playing impossible. 

Thought it was a BT problem but turned out to be Google Drive (we use for backing up photos) trying to sync every 90 seconds. Disabled that and no more spikes. 

Cheers,

Mattokun

0 Ratings