Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sulzmann
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 37

Re: Ping Spikes/Lag When Gaming + Netflix is on BT TV Box

Hi @PaddyB and others,

Since last posting an engineer has come round and found there is no noise on the line, he changed our socket and replaced something at the front of our house. We have also been sent a brand new Smart Hub 2, and I am now running through BT mini-connectors to a brand new PC in my room.

We are STILL experiencing terrible problems with high latency. My computer tonight is getting very stable latency but of ~ 100ms while gaming which is completely unusable.

Please see the picture below, which is while the network is idle (nobody is gaming or streaming). This pattern has been consistent for the last several hours.

Everyone we've interacted with at BT has been really helpful but unfortunately if we can't get the problem solved we are now ready to leave BT as we are paying for a service that isn't working.

Can you suggest anything else before we pursue this?

PING 22-03-20.png

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 32 of 37

Hi Sulzmann, sorry the engineer visit did not resolve the issue. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we will be happy to check if we can get this fixed for you.

cheers
John

0 Ratings
3jamied
Beginner
Message 33 of 37

I’m having the same ping spikes when someone is streaming whilst I’m gaming. Please could I get the magic fix! 

0 Ratings
scootwilson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 37

Hi DavidM. This is happening to us and has been for over a year. Are you able to look at my connection please?

0 Ratings
bluesdank
Beginner
Message 35 of 37

Also having the same problem. My ping normally sits at around 9-15 when connected to game servers or VOIPs like discord. BUT, if someone on the network decides to watch a YouTube video or open Netflix the ping spikes a lot and sometimes it just throws the ping off entirely for a few hours even when the streaming sites have been closed. This has been a very frustrating problem and after researching it more and finding that the problem IS on BT's side is very upsetting. I've had multiple engineers come out and check everything in my area as well as my line, the master socket, the set up of the HUB and everything proved to be fine. Really annoying, if there is anything I can do please let me know!

0 Ratings
bluesdank
Beginner
Message 36 of 37

thought i would update and mention this still happens!

0 Ratings
3jamied
Beginner
Message 37 of 37

I bought a Netgear nighthawk which has proper QOS so I can allocate controlled bandwidth to my ps5, no ping spikes anymore!

0 Ratings