cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 21 of 33

Re: Ping Spikes/Lag When Gaming + Netflix is on BT TV Box

Hi @Sulzmann, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Sorry that you are having an issue with high Ping. To help diagnose your issue please can you confirm that you are using your BT Hib and that you are checking your connection with your gaming device connected directly to your hub via Ethernet ie no powerline adapters or ethernet switches.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 33

Hi @JohnC2

Yes we are using the BT Hub. Unfortunately the Ethernet port on my PS4 has not worked at all for several years, and on my laptop there is no ethernet port all (!) .

The the ping is exceptionally bad when my housemate streams any video and jumps between ~50 to ~150 every few seconds. When only the PS4 is active on the network the ping sometimes still jumps around , but generally sits around 30.

The network also seems to lose internet access several times per day and devices are are kicked from the network (we were told the Hub Reboots itself???)

Thanks for your help
Matt
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 33

(But the ping is similarly bad when tested/playing games on either the PS4 or laptop - both of which are connected directly to our router wirelessly)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 24 of 33

Hi @Sulzmann,

Thank you for posting back. Without being able to connect your PS4 by ethernet it will be hard to rule out wireless interference.

Please can you post a ping plotter, one while gaming by itself and another while gaming with a stream running?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 33

Hi @PaddyB 

Please see images from PingPlotter. (I haven't used this software before so sorry if anything is not right)

First photo is pingplotter running on my laptop next to the hub while housemates PS4 is on but idle, second photo is exactly the same but the PS4 is streaming Netflix.

These were the only two devices in use at the time. During the test with Netflix on, the light on the hub went orange and my laptop was disconnected completely (which is the huge red bar on the chart). This happens several times per day.

Thanks for your help!!

PS4 IDLEPS4 IDLEPS4 on NetflixPS4 on Netflix

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 26 of 33

try disabling IPv6  

you won't be able to turn it off on the router so I suggest using a non bt smart hub, maybe get a cheap 2nd hand one from ebay. 

We've discovered the IPv6 routing at BT are RIP at the moment, I also had the lag spikes when playing rust but had none since i dropped back to IPv4.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 33

Hi @mrmarky

Will try this as a last resort.

Can anyone from BT comment on my results etc?? Seems to me that my ping is constantly jumping around more than is really acceptable no matter what is happening, and then when someone is streaming video it becomes impossible to play games at all.

Ready to switch providers as seems like this has been the solution for a lot of people.

Thanks
Matt
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 28 of 33

Hi @Sulzmann,

If you're seeing your ping fluctuate all the time regardless of what you're doing online, it's likely that there is interference affecting your connection. If you send me in your details, I'll be able to run a few checks on your connection. 

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact me.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 33

Hi @PaddyB 

I have contacted you as requested - thanks!

Just additionally - BT send us some mini-connectors, which we have managed to set up my our housemates PS4.

Unfortunately this makes the base level of the ping about 20ms higher (maybe the wiring in our house is poor for this set up?) - but the ping jumps around wildly anyway the same as when using wifi. Therefore I don't think there is a problem with wireless interference in home setup .

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 33

Hi all

Just to update anyone interested - a BT engineer came today to have a look at our connection. He said he fixed a small fault outside , and replace the socket inside. Our connection is now somewhat more stable, and has lower ping. But unfortunately it still goes crazy as soon as someone is watching Netflix - spiking to around 200ms every few seconds.

May have to look at the suggestion of buying a third party router, although it seems many people have done this and had no success despite applying QoS settings etc.

Matt

0 Ratings