cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saltyrodney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Ping Spikes When Steaming Any Video

As with a number of others on the forum, I've been having latency issues since December. A single 720p twitch stream is causing me 100+ ping spikes and Netflix UHD makes my connection spike 400+

My speeds are always as above or higher (no higher then 40Mbps), test was done during peak hours of about 6pm. Speeds in my village seem to fluctuate massively, i live less then 400 metres from the cabinet yet the premises 50 metres from me and within sight of my bedroom window get 80Mbps, while thats not the point here i cant help but think speeds that high would help

Had an engineer out with no problems reported, tried everything on my end to troubleshoot yet the problem still persists. I am completely at my wits end with this problem and am really struggling not to get angry about it. 

My household have been with BT for over 15 years and we have never had any problems with the service, yet it seems there is an underlying problem with the network recently that BT either wont admit to or don't even know about.

I have purchased a 3rd party router with QOS settings which makes it just about manageable, but over the last few weeks my connection is spiking even through those settings, as i'm writing this thread im getting spikes of 80 watching Sky Sports on my PC with all devices restricted

I even borrowed a wireless antenna and connected my PC to the FON network being given from my hub, no ping spikes.

I'm a gamer and this connection has lost me my hardcore character on Path of Exile

What the hell is going on?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
shamus1
Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Ping Spikes When Steaming Any Video

hi there I have exactly the same problem and as you I have tried everything and I could not be bothered to post it up on here as you will not fix it with the help from anyone on here you will just get told basically that's how it is and deal with it( get ready for all the backlash) you will be told to try this and that and it will still be the same.i have researched this with a few other gamers who had the same problems and 3 off them switched to sky and problem sorted how I don't know,but that's the way im going as like I said good luck getting it fixed.i have a problem on my line that's never been fixed but it can be seen happening by openreaches top engineers and bt top geeks yet no fix for it.

0 Ratings
saltyrodney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

6 days and no reply? Disappointing BT

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

same on all forum posts about ping spikes. Pretty frustrating tbh. Just keep the thread bumped every day so they all stay on the front page. 

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

I'm having jitter of 566 ms/ 366 ms ping when someone opens YouTube !! This is beyond ridiculous, how can we pay double the price of other ISP's but have a worst service ? 

Even my friends who live in 3 rd world countries with lower infrastructures than the UK can watch a bloody YouTube video and game with a stable ping at the same time using a 8 MB ADSL internet speed. 

0 Ratings
mccanno
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Long shot but try logging into your bt account page and disable Web Protect.  I had issues  with lag on xbox gaming, Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, twitter.  All fixed after disabling Web Protect service. 

0 Ratings
saltyrodney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Thanks for the suggestion will give that a try

0 Ratings
saltyrodney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Already disabled, not a fix sadly

0 Ratings
saltyrodney
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Are the actually any mods on this forum?

This is bloody ridiculous BT, you are a **bleep**ing joke

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

You can't get help here, use the forums as a resource to point engineers to the issue. Don't expect to get your issues fixed by posting on the forums.

0 Ratings