cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adam0088
Message 1 of 6

Ping Spiking Continuously

For the past few months my ping has been spiking constantly, making it almost impossible to play any game for more than 10 minutes. I have troubleshooted as much as I can, factory reset router, tried direct with ethernet and done everything in my power to try to fix it.

I've done a traceroute with pingplotter but it seems that bt have hidden hop 2 and 3 so I can't see where the problem is.

test2.png

also here is a ping test;

test1.png

I've tried to contact BT and they keep doing a test on their end and it seems to come up fine to them. 

Not sure what to do and hope someone can help..

Thanks! -Adam

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ping Spiking Continuously

Welcome to this user forum.

It could be a network issue, or lots of errors on your line. First check your line, in case BT have missed something.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
adam0088
Message 3 of 6

Called the number and no noise or anything.
What do you mean by check my line, go outside and see if the cables themselves are damaged?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@adam0088 wrote:
Called the number and no noise or anything.
What do you mean by check my line, go outside and see if the cables themselves are damaged?

No, just the noise check, if that is fine, then is probably something else. Is anyone else using your connection when you are playing a game, as that will affect the ping response?

There are a lot of similar reports on this forum.

0 Ratings
adam0088
Message 5 of 6

It doesn't lag when no one is at home, but when people are connected. But even if they arn't doing anything on the internet or even on their phones it will lag.

0 Ratings