cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard0975
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Ping spikes affecting PS4 use

Been with BT for less than two months, broadband is Superfast Fibre 2 with Smarthub 2. Download and upload speeds seem fine. PS4 with wired connection to router is fine, but becomes unplayable when Netflix is streaming via wi fi or wired connection to BT tv box. My son assured me that this is due to ping spikes, jumping up to over 100. Already spoke to BT by phone and advised to activate 5ghz on router and change channels, although I don’t see this as having anything to do with wi fi. I am something of a techno phobe and my head is spinning having read other posts based on similar issues. Can anyone give me advice in as simple terms as possible please? At present, I feel stuck with a product that is not fit for purpose and certainly not delivering on its promise of great performance for gaming, streaming, video playback etc, particularly if you want to do more than one of these at any one time.
I have read about QoS, the concept of which I think I’ve grasped, but BT routers don’t seem to offer this and should I really have to purchase a new router. And does this option actually solve the problem? Help, my son is driving me mad!
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
NextGenG
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Ping spikes affecting PS4 use

Other people have reported this too.This is a Netflix issue and not anything BT can influence.
0 Ratings
Richard0975
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the reply. I have read quite a few of the posts from those struggling with the same problem, but you are the first I have seen who points towards Netflix as being at fault. Is this based on a response from BT themselves or as a result of your own digging, and are you able to elaborate on any possible or suggested solutions? Thanks
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 4 of 10

@NextGenG is the only one who has pointed to it being a Netflix issue. I'd be interested to know how he came to that conclusion.

0 Ratings
meercha
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Ehm, how can it be a Netflix issue if other ISPs don't struggle with high latency while Netflix is streaming?

It's most definitely a BT issue, and this just started happening recently for most users, so BT needs to backtrack and see where they f****d up

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Do a Google search for "netflix causing games to stutter", its a very common problem.

0 Ratings
NextGenG
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Apologies with my answer last night, jumping to conclusions. I understood this to be to do with Netflix collecting data while streaming causing ping to increase. However I dont know this for sure . Reddit have a piece saying it may be due to the router.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/3da954/why_does_watching_netflix_increase_video_game/

Look forward to other comments on this.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

The router will have a bearing on this, especially if it treats all traffic with equal priority, like most ISP provided routers do.

Streaming video can tolerate a lower priority, as the software producing the stream, will have its own receive buffering anyway, so a slight delay is not going to affect it.

The ideal situation would be to reduce the priority of the device which is displaying the stream, and restrict its down/up bandwidth to as low as possible without buffering. At the same time, monitoring the latency to see what affect its having.

That does require quite a bit of effort to get this right, there is no quick fix.

0 Ratings
meercha
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Too bad the BT Home Hub 5 does not provide such control over the bandwidth use or even monitoring......................................

0 Ratings
jonnye71
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

have you been able to fix this problem? Im having the same!
0 Ratings