cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ben97
Message 1 of 4

Ping spikes every few seconds

Go to solution

I keep getting huge ping spikes and this has been happening since BT went down in my area before christmas, I had hoped it would have beeen resolved by now but my 2.4 ghz connection has huge spikes although i can stay connected to it unlike my 5ghz that is also very bad but disconnects and is not even visable on the wifi connection list at times. This makes doing anything online such as talking or playing games online very frustrating and I need some help on how to fix it.

So far I called BT and they just said they was going to change the channels on the router and that I should buy wifi boosters , this changed nothing as it was perfect before the original outage before christmas and has suffered ever since while gaining no new or useful help from the phone.

sorry if this is the wrong place to post this I have never used fourms before

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ping spikes every few seconds

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

You really need to avoid using wireless if possible, and just use an Ethernet connection.

Its worth also checking your phone line for noise.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

I assume you are on normal broadband, and not superfast broadband?

What sort of download and upload speed do you get?

0 Ratings
Ben97
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Wireless is my only option without buying some other deives i have seen that can use main sockets to connect ethernet, I have also used wireless for over 2 years and the connection has always been almost perfection in terms of ping. I dont have a house phone and using a speed test provides these results

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Latency: 30 ms
Server: Dublin

Your Internet speed is fast

Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos at the same time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

You will need to test for noise using a phone, as noise on your line will cause errors, and that will affect the ping.

Buy a cheap (less than £10) wired phone to run a check.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

0 Ratings