cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Ping spikes, packet loss, high latency while gaming

So for a while now I have been having issues with high ping and latency while gaming and often get packet loss during that time. This issue happens intermittently and there is seemingly no pattern to it. I am using a professional standard CAT6A ethernet cable from my router directly to my PC. The types of games I play where these issues happen are Valorant, CS:GO, Rocket League, etc. I have searched a lot online for similar issues and had little luck fixing my problem. I spoke with a more experienced friend of mine that found success from posting here so I am hoping to do the same. 

Here is the information of my BT hub that should prove useful. If you need any other information please don't hesitate to ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability. Thank you all in advance.

--

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084317+NQ91885190

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E081

Firmware updated:

20-Feb-2023

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

3 Days, 23 Hours 2 Minutes 21 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 80.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

28807 / 93616

Noise margin:

11.4 dB / 6.4 dB

Line attenuation:

34.5 dB

Signal attenuation:

23.5 dB / 34.6 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

31 GB Uploaded / 176 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-WQX5

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-WQX5

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

80:20:DA:F0:BC:9B

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ping spikes, packet loss, high latency while gaming

First thing to do is see if you have an issue.

install PingPlotter, leave it as standard settings and run it. You might find,  your latency increases  as you saturate your connection which if that’s the case you will need a better way to control quality of service so will need to think about another router. 

off course server selection comes into play as most games now don’t allow you to see what server you can join. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ping spikes, packet loss, high latency while gaming

I had a similar issue where my ping would spike to over 1000ms every few seconds(checked on https://www.netmeter.co.uk/ping-test/), wired, wireless, different devices it didn t matter there was clearly and issue with the WiFi itself. This was happening for weeks since installation and as they don't test for ping the internet seemed to be working perfectly fine whenever they did checks for me. Eventually i put a complaint in and asked for an engineer to be sent out and if it couldn't be resolved id have to cancel the plan, before the engineer even arrived the issue was somehow fixed and everything is working perfectly now

0 Ratings