cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Ping spikes whilst using video streaming services

Hi,

I've been experiencing regular ping spikes whenever I'm playing a multiplayer game and someone else at home is using Netflix, Amazon etc.

I can see from many forum posts that this appears to be a recent and well known issue, I was wondering if this issue is being looked into and if there are any work arounds at the moment.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Ping spikes whilst using video streaming services

Hi @RyanC95 and welcome to the community.

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry you're seeing ping spikes etc. Can you just confirm how you're connecting and what service you have i.e. full fibre etc?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Hey David,

I use a WIFI connection mainly but I have tested a wired setup but still experienced ping spikes whenever someone was watching any shows and we have fibre broadband (VDSL) using the Smart Hub 1 as our router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Thanks for checking that @RyanC95 .

Are you using any powerline adaptors or ethernet switches? Can you post some router stats?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Currently I have a Netgear EX8000 extender in my room to help with my WIFI but I don't use any other hardware at the moment. I was looking into buying a powerline adaptor but didn't want to make a purchase just yet in case it didn't solve the issue.

I posted some screenshots of the technical log if that's what you needed but if there's anything else you'd like me to show then let me know.

RyanC95_0-1624729165134.png

RyanC95_1-1624729201199.png

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Hi @RyanC95 we've seen wifi extenders, ethernet switches and powerline adapters causing these symptoms before. Is it possible for testing purposes to connect directly to your Hubs wifi or with a direct ethernet connection and check to see if the same issue occurs when streaming?

Thanks
Neil

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Sure no problem I'll test it out and let you know how it goes.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

I have had the same problem with ping spikes for months and i am connected wired from my smart hub 2, had a tech guy out the other day who fitted some internet plug ins, but still getting latency issues
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Hi again,

So I turned the extender off and gave it a go but unfortunately the problem still persisted, I put a screenshot below showing the large spikes when I tried it.

RyanC95_0-1624732945467.png

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

The answer is not to stream video the same time as you are gaming. Streaming services use a lot of download and upload bandwidth, and that will affect network performance.

0 Ratings