Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
FernAndr
Message 1 of 4

Planning to move to BT Infinity - Faulty DSL line

Go to solution

Hello,

I currently have an ADSL line (with TalkTalk), but, due to connectivity issues, I want to move to BT Infinity. Although I am trying to solve these issues with them, they are important, such as extremely low connection speed, constant disconnections of the router from the network, and router taking 1+ hours to reconnect in some cases. I do not have a landline phone to check if the phone line works ok; from TalkTalk they told me that it does work, but they also told me last time that the broadband should already working fine, and it does not...

Hence, I am worried that, if I switch to BT Infinity (Fibre To The Cabinet), those issues will still be unsolved and affecting somehow the new fibre connection (perhaps I am being wrongly pessimistic here). To avoid this, I though I could choose BT Infinity 2 and, based on the following link, an engineer would be able to come to my flat to do the installation, free of charge:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37208/~/do-i-need-a-special-faceplate-for-bt-infinity...

However, if I follow the online process to buy BT Infinity 2, it tells me that my flat is ready for the broadband already. Later, it tells me that an engineer can come to install my broadband, but it costs an extra £50, and I do not know if he will be able to fix any possible problem with the fibre connection.

Can I force somehow that a BT engineer comes to do the installation and esures that everything works fine, free of charge? I do not want to spend £50 for no reason; at the same time, I would not like to experience a situation where my new fibre connection does not work from the start and I have to wait for additional days/weeks to get it fixed.

Regards,

Fernando

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Planning to move to BT Infinity - Faulty DSL line

Go to solution

1. Get a corded phone, they are only about a fiver. Check there is no noise on the line with the quiet line test on 17070.

2. Unlikely moving to Infinity will give any improvement until your line fault is cleared as it will still be using the same copper wires from the cabinet to your house.

3. All Infinity is now self install unless paying extra for engineer visit.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Before moving you should get Talk Talk to repair the fault with your line otherwise the fault will just move with you.

Have you carried out an estimate chacke to see if it is worth paying for Infinity 2. If you Estimate does not put you well above 52Mbps you ae wasting your money and should go for Infinity 1.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
FernAndr
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Hi both, thanks for answering. It is a pity that my current broadband problems can still happen with fibre... I will try to sort this out with TalkTalk first as you suggested then.

Regarding the other comments, I have bought a cheap landline phone as suggested, and it seems to work ok. At the moment, they say it could be due to the router, and hence I am waiting for a new one to confirm this.

I also tried that adsl checker webpage, but it tells me this for some reason: "There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line.".

However, when following the processes of buying broadband in the BT webpage, it shows me the screensot below. That is why I thought I would opt for Infinity 2; the other reason was that free engineer visit, but if that is not the case anymore, I may opt for Infinity 1 anyway.

Broadband check.png

0 Ratings