cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Morty
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Plasma TV RFI switching off broadband, old wiring need replaced?

Go to solution

Hi all! New to the forums, pleasure to be here!

Less pleasurable is my new Panasonic Viera plasma TV interfering with my broadband phoneline causing my broadband to cease working Smiley Sad

When my TV is off my broadband works normally. I do not want to get rid of my new TV as the picture is excellent, and I am keen to use the smart features supported.

I have attached an image (in my image gallery) of the BT phoneline with its ancient bakelite line box. The quality of the wiring is also poor (?cat1).

My big question is should I get the phone line box and wiring replaced? I can't really move the location of my TV unfortunately.

any replies much appreciated.

PS one of my neighbours is an Openreach engineer, I wonder if he would take a gander for free?Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Plasma TV RFI switching off broadband, old wiring need replaced?

Go to solution

that is just the junction box when the external wires connect to the internal wires and many homes have that connection.  is that the only socket you have in your home?

Plasma TVs can cause interference with your broadband so if you can't move the TV can you not get a longer RL11 modem cable and move the location of the hub?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Morty
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

image.jpeg

0 Ratings
Morty
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

that is just the junction box when the external wires connect to the internal wires and many homes have that connection.  is that the only socket you have in your home?

Plasma TVs can cause interference with your broadband so if you can't move the TV can you not get a longer RL11 modem cable and move the location of the hub?

That is the only socket that works as far as I have tested, there are another 2, however they are in the kitchen, and on the upstairs landing. The reason I use this one is because it is tidy, next to my TV and ps3 so I can hard-wire it with ethernet cables not all running around the house.

I could try and move the router away from the tv and run things wirelessly, however the TV is right next to the junction box so would it not be the root of the problem where the wiring enters the house?

I am just wondering if replacing the box and wiring with something better insulated with a solid core (cat5e/6) might improve things?

thanks again!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

it's the router that is having the problem with the plasma as shown here in a prvious post 
http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
duncan10
Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I would agree about the plasma tv. Thats one of the shortest internal runs to the main socket I have seen. Your  right its old circa 1970s. This is the original issue-1st edition. containing the capacitor and other components. You have got me worried that you said the other sockets in the house dont work. Do you mean if you plug a phone in --no dial tone ?.If so the wiring to the xtns could be faulty so it should be removed as it is liable to cause a fault condition. If this is original wiring that was put in by a BT ENGINEER then you should call faults and get them to rectify it.You should realise if you have redecorated the house and damaged the wiring you could be charged for it. If it was put in by a non-BT person[before OR] then BT have no obligation to repair it . BT have records of what is covered in every customers house. This is in the days BEFORE-OR - When only BT engineers had the legal right to install xtns. If the wiring is non-BT and it causes a fault to appear at the exchange then you would have a problem that has to be cured which you might be charged for. Its all down to ownership of the internal wiring.                                                           

Morty
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Smiley Very HappyOk update guys:

One of the boys I go to the gym with is a BT Openreach engineer, he kindly offered to take a look at my wiring.

Removed the old 95A master box and extensions and replaced with BT Openreach NTE5 master box (without ring wire) in like 10mins.

Now have double the broadband speed and full internet TV Smiley Happy

He also refused any paymebt so I bought him some cider Smiley LOL

Thanks again for your posts, I have attached another pic.

It's not what you know, it's who you go to the gym with Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Morty
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Great news glad all is solved now
0 Ratings