cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mclemen8
Message 1 of 8

Please help - BT Home Hub 5 blocks Kano (Raspberry Pi 2)

Hello,

First time posting.  I have BT Infinity 2, and use Parental Controls (set to Moderate) to effectively manage the online needs of two children.

My 10 year old son got a Kano (Raspberry Pi 2) computer this week for this birthday.  He excitedly built it, but we have experienced considerable internet connectively problems.  It transpires that our BT Parental Controls are blocking the Kano from connecting to the internet - I know this as I turned them off, and the Kano connected perfectly.

I have searched across many forums and can not find a straight forward answer as to how to use a Kano with BT Privacy Controls.  I have tried many things, including putting the Kano in the DMZ - but to no avail.  I cannot find how to change the Kano DNS settings, or alter the BT Parental Controls to allow the Kano to operate as intended.

I don't want to turn off the controls and allow unfiltered access from iPads, iPhones, etc... nor do I want him to miss out on using a Kano to learn how to program.

We are now stuck, and he is down-hearted as his birthday present won't connect, and Dad is spending a lot of time unsuccessfully tinkering with it.

Any help, greatfully received.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Please help - BT Home Hub 5 blocks Kano (Raspberry Pi 2)

The Kano must be trying to use a non BT DNS servrer. You need to change the DNS settings and point DNS to 192.168.1.254 if you have a BT homehub using the default settings.

0 Ratings
BT Expert
Message 3 of 8

Having a look the Kano is configured to use Google's DNS servers, which if you have BT Parental Controls enabled will conflict with the policy of using another DNS provider and the dns lookup will get blocked/redirected to a notice.

I found this: https://github.com/KanoComputing/kano-settings/wiki/Ultimate-parental-control,-an-introduction-to-se...

Maybe try changing the 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4 to 192.168.1.254

also if you do use the command ifconfig or ip addr using the terminal window, what do you get for eth0 or the network interface you are using?

mclemen8
Message 4 of 8

Thanks both.

JamesC

Typing ifconfig returns this for eth0:

Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr b8:27:eb:69:33:35

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:0  (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

I'm not particularly proficient with coding so would not know how to change the DNS settings on the command line on the Kano from 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4 to 192.168.1.254

Any further assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

You should be able to change the DNS settings in the Network Manager Gui rather than having to use the CLI

Or edit /etc/resolv.conf    change 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to 192.168.1.254

0 Ratings
JaiBones
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Can anybody please give me some step-by-step instructions on how to change the DNS server for Kano. 

"Or edit /etc/resolv.conf    change 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 to 192.168.1.254" ... How please?

I've tried changing the files manually with leafpad, but it won't let me save them.

I've tried following the instructions I found at http://world.kano.me/forum/topic/dns-servers but even using LXTerminal to try and save the changes just gives me an error!

My Linux CLI skills are VERY basic. 😞

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

What's the error you're getting? As a guess it may be that you're trying to save a file that you're not the owner of and so don't have permission.

Did you use sudo leafpad?

Regards

0 Ratings
JaiBones
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for your swift reply, as luck would have it a friend of my wife was just visiting who knows his way around a linux terminal! I believe is was indeed a 'permissions' problem!(I hadn't done sudo leafpad BTW, d'oh).

0 Ratings