cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Please help, using second smart hub 2 as an access point

Go to solution

Good evening,

I'm hoping you guys and gals can help me ..

I have my main router in the house  and I have a Cat 6 cable feeding out to my garden office.  I would like to set up a 2nd Smart Hub 2 as an Access point for WIFI in that building but there seems to be a lot of confusing information when I have searched the forum.  I've tried running the new hub and tuning off the DHCP and firewall and changing the IP address but nothing seems to be working. 

I've searched through the forum but the link posted back in January isn't allowing me to open it.  

I've spent at least a day trying to get this to work so for the sake of my marriage and sanity please can somebody be able to explain to a beginner what I need to do?

Thank you very much for your time 🙂 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Please help, using second smart hub 2 as an access point

Go to solution

Not sure what confusing information you have seen but the process is quite simple.

Do absolutely nothing with the primary hub. On the secondary hub, give it an IP address of 192.168.1 10 and turn off DHCP. No need to do anything with firewalls.

Connect the 2 hubs LAN port 1 to LAN port1 and that's it.

The purple light on the secondary hub will remain on as it won't have a broadband input.

Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Amazing! Thank you ever so much, I will get to work! 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

@licquorice Can I please ask you.. 

Will plugging into LAN point 1 to LAN 1 (on the 2nd Hub as per your advice) make it an access point for both Wifi and ethernet?  

What we are trying to do is to use Hub 1 in the house as you would normally, then we have Cat 6 cable out to a workshop, where we would like to plug in the secondary smart hub2 and use this as an access point for both ethernet and wifi, to then plug in a desktop in the workshop and a 3rd smart hub which is needed for wifi in the garden office.  

I haven't got as far as plugging in the 3rd smart hub yet as when I try to connect to the 2nd hub it won't connect (I'm assuming that I use the password as per the card on that 2nd hub.  

It makes my head spin, I'm not tech minded at all!  Thank you ever so much for your time and help so far!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Yes, the second hub will be both an Ethernet and WiFi access point. You will need to connect your laptop directly to the second hub to make and save the changes before connecting to the main hub as both will have the same IP address until you make the changes.

Make sure that FTTP mode is turned off on the second hub so that you can use port4 as a LAN port rather than a WAN port.

Iv you do add a third hub, give it an address of 192.168.1.20

Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Why do you want a third hub? The second hub will provide you with 3 Ethernet ports (one used to the first hub)  plus WiFi in your garden office. You can change the SSID and password on the second hub to match the first if you want, but it will be easier to see what you are connected to if you leave them different.

Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

I suspect the workshop and garden office are discrete locations too distant from each other for WiFi to reach from one to the other or from the house.

Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
Thank you @countrypaul, the distance between the workshop and garden office are quite a distance and I don't think the wifi would be stable enough for the office.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Fantastic, thank you @licquorice typically my laptop doesn't have an ethernet port so I was logging into the hub via wifi so I've ordered a USB to ethernet adaptor to be able to connect directly to the hub. 

I now understand what I need to do so will give this a go and hopefully I can get this working, thank you ever so much for your help with this, I really appreciate your time and help.  

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution
Yep exactly right, they aren't miles apart but I'm not confident - even with my limited knowledge of these things - the wifi will be strong enough to reach the office.
0 Ratings