cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anpnw
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Poor WiFi strength and LG Smart TV - best option new BT Smart Hub or BT Mini Hub

Go to solution

Having just purchased an LG Smart TV I find that I am not able to connect to WiFi via my current BT Smart Hub (5 ?) on Infinity 1 plan. 

The TV is located in the living room whereas the hub is located in the family room seperated by a large kitchen and a couple of walls Man Sad.  I am aware that this situation is no where near ideal, however I am pretty much stuck with this for the near future and certainly not able to move the hub or hard wire ethernet to the TV location.

Up to getting the TV have been happily using iPads, phones and laptops in the living room and had no apparent problems with signal or speed, including even streaming a couple of films and music from a NAS.

I have just downloaded and used the Netgear WiFi analyser on my phone and for the living room the readings are poor (as shown on the

53% signal and 57Mbps (-75 - -80 dBm) at best vs the best signal in the house of 100% signal 72 Mbps (-35 dBm).

Bearing in mind that I cannot change hub location or use direct ethernet I am thinking about ways to improve the signal strength and have been looking at two BT options:

1.  The new BT Smart hub.  Said to be a major upgrade to previous (mine) hub with a signal that can penetrate walls - and the ability to leap over tall buildings Man LOL

2.  BT mini hub at a similar cost.

Would I be better off going with the mini hub and making a WiFi hotspot with a direct connection to the tv with ethernet from a nearby socket or would the Smart hub offer the same benefits due to signal strength improvements?

Any alternatives to consider or is my plan ill conceived?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Poor WiFi strength and LG Smart TV - best option new BT Smart Hub or BT Mini Hub

Go to solution

Do not get the Smarthub. Have a look through the forum for the problems it has. You would be better going for your second option or using another brand of Powerline adaptors either with wireless hotspot capability or just Ethernet.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Re: Poor WiFi strength and LG Smart TV - best option new BT Smart Hub or BT Mini Hub

Go to solution

These are a good option, as they give both Ethernet and wireless coverage.

http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/home-hotspots

0 Ratings
Highlighted
anpnw
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

gg30340, thank you I was thinking that setting up a wifi hotspot with ethernet option may be the best option but was unsure.  Thanks for your input

Keith-Beddoe, I was thinking about the new BT mini hub

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56012/?s_cid=con_FURL_minihub.

I assumed that this would be the newer (better?) device at similar price to middle range of your link after customer discount.  What do you think?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

That must be a new product which I have not seen before. The through socket is a good idea, and its dual band, so it seems fine.

0 Ratings
anpnw
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
  • I have just ordered the kit and will report back once up and running.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@anpnw wrote:
  • I have just ordered the kit and will report back once up and running.

I would certainly connect the TV using the Ethernet port on the kit, instead of wireless, as its likely to be more reliable.

anpnw
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Just to follow up my BT Mini Hub kit arrived today and in a few minutes was set up and connected via WiFi to TV to test.

Very pleased to say that all is working very well, as expected, and with signal strength reported 100% at -39dBm for the 5GHz and -31dBM for 2.4GHz at the time of testing.

The TV is to be wall mounted and I think I will be connecting to Ethernet as Keith suggested for reliablility and in any case as cabling needs to be hidden within the plaster wall it seems prudent to make all connections to the tv to cater for all future additions.

A couple of follow up questions which are related to the original topic

1.  Is it best practice to keep seperate SSID for the WiFi hotspot and the BT Smart hub?

2.  Are there any downsides to choosing 5GHz over 2.4GHz.  My assumption is that there is less interference, less traffic and better speeds?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@anpnw wrote:

Just to follow up my BT Mini Hub kit arrived today and in a few minutes was set up and connected via WiFi to TV to 

1.  Is it best practice to keep seperate SSID for the WiFi hotspot and the BT Smart hub?

2.  Are there any downsides to choosing 5GHz over 2.4GHz.  My assumption is that there is less interference, less traffic and better speeds?

1) Yes, keep them separate, do not clone the home hub settings.

2) 5GHz has less range and is less likely to be interfered with. Speed is likely to be the same.

anpnw
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you very much for your assistance

0 Ratings