cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
micky007192
Message 1 of 5

Poor Wifi Signal

Hi,

I have a new built property from Red Row, i had BT come and install BT Infinity and a phone line. When they installed it (without entering the property) i had to call BT as nothing was working, a few days later a BT Engineer came round and found that no Master Socket was in the house which was why none of the phone lines where working, he installed a master socket under the stairs, still nothing worked and he found that the house still wasnt connected properly at the exchange so he fixed that too.

Now the BT socket he installed is under the stairs, and he said i should have my BT Smarthub connected via this socket to get the best speed etc... how ever im getting really poor wifi signal upstairs with my connection often dropping out. I thought BTs wifi can go 200m up in the air and also says its the UKs most powerful wifi signal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTDb_mjti84) that doesnt seem to be the case for me as i cant even get wifi upstairs.

I've purchased a BT 11ac WiFi Range Extender - (AC 1200, Dual Band) and plugged it in upstairs but yet that is saying the extender is too close to the wifi? I cant work out how when ALL my wifi products upstairs get poor signal and often drop out. I've tried connecting my devices to the BT Extender and im still getting internet issues with the internet connection often saying "No Internet" and also the same thing happens where the wifi extender loses connection.

No i tried to move the smarthub from under the stairs and plugged it into another phone socket using a filter i.e the lounge but the hub cant seem to connect, so i then tried a few other phone sockets and the same thing was happening where the smart hub couldnt connect. I then did some reading up and found that on the BT site it says i cant plug the smart hub into another other socket except for the one the BT Engineer installed under the stairs. I feel this is stupid!! Why cant i plug the smart hub in any other socket using a filter?

I need to move the hub as like i say i get really poor wifi with it being under the stairs, what can i do? Can i move the master socket? Will BT charge me for them to move the socket?

Please help me 😞

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Poor Wifi Signal

A range extender is the wrong product to use in your situation, as they perform rather poorly at the extent of their range.

This is what you should be using.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

Or if you want two extra hotspots.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-multi-kit-084289-BVFH.html

0 Ratings
micky007192
Message 3 of 5

i have somthing like this already with tp-link, however not for wifi but for ethernet. i still get the issue because it has to be connect to the smarthub under the stairs, so the only way of fixing my issue is to move/plug the smarthub somewhere else instead of under the stairs, but like i said reading up on the BT site i cant do that and it has to be connected to the BT socket which was installed under the stairs.

Can someone confirm to me if its right that i cant connect my smart hub anywhere else, also would BT charge me to move the socket they installed under the stairs to somewhere else thats more open for the smart hub to be? I never even told the BT engineer to install it under the stairs, he just put it there himself.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

All they have to do is to connect to one of the Ethernet ports on the home hub, and then plug into a mains socket next to the home hub, so they do not rely on a wireless connection, but use the mains wiring to carry the signal.

They will not work with the TP Link, but as they have two Ethernet ports, then the TP link would not be needed anyway.

The only other option would be to use a data extension cable plugged into the small socket on the master socket, and then run that cable to where you want the home hub to be located. Provided its within 15M, unless you joint two together.

Look for 15M ADSL RJ11 Broadband Modem Extension Cable - Male to Male with coupler.

You would have to pay for the master socket to be moved, provided it is practical to do.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Just move the 2 wires that are connected to pins 2&5 in the master socket removable front faceplate to the data extension terminals in the rear of the master. You will then be able to use the extension socket with a filter.

Image result for nte5 data extension terminals

0 Ratings