Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GPayne
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Poor Wireless signal with Home Hub 3

Go to solution

Hi, just wondering if anyone has experienced poor wireless signal with BT Home Hub 3 that has been a problem for the past few weeks. BT help desk confirmed that my hub is working okay and I'm getting a good feed of around 37mb for download and 8mb for upload. However, after a power down reset the wireless starts off around 37mb but after a couple of hours the signal is down to 1 to 3 mb, this is like waiting for dial up type performance! BT also got me to manually change channels but still the same performace drop after a few hours.

I had all the usual suggestions from the help desk about interference and moving ther hub away from my phone etc. My openreach box and hub are near to my cordless phone and the hub sits on top of the openreach box, this was the case for over a year with no effect on the wireless performance. If I move the hub it makes no difference, I moved it closer to my computer as far as the cables would allow so it was at the door of our study and still low signal after a couple of hours. However, if I connect a 4 metre long ethernet cable to the hub I immediately get 37mb again. Trouble is my wife doesn't like the cables across the floor!!

Is the problem something to do with my home hub 3 wireless circuits? Hope someone can shed some light on this problem before I resort to buying a new router.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Poor Wireless signal with Home Hub 3

Go to solution

It does sound as if the wireless is failing on the HH3. I would ring 0800 111 4567 and explain the problem , also tell them you have done all the checks as recommended by the help desk and so you want a replacement. If you are in contract then a replacement hub should be supplied free - there is no need to recontract. I have no idea what hub would be sent but if it is a HH5 I would connect it to the modem as there have been a few problems with it if you are unlucky - lots of people have no problems.  This way you get a new free router.

You still have the choice of getting a 3rd party router which many people would say is an improvement over the HHs.

GPayne
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Conrad, thanks for the feedback. I have contacted BT as suggested and they redirected me to the cost options department as I'm out of contract. I am resigning and getting a free HH5 so hopefully this should sort the problem. 

Thanks again, I will revert once the new HH has arrived to see if my problem is resolved.

Regards Geoff

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@GPayne wrote:

Hi, just wondering if anyone has experienced poor wireless signal with BT Home Hub 3 that has been a problem for the past few weeks. BT help desk confirmed that my hub is working okay and I'm getting a good feed of around 37mb for download and 8mb for upload. However, after a power down reset the wireless starts off around 37mb but after a couple of hours the signal is down to 1 to 3 mb, this is like waiting for dial up type performance! BT also got me to manually change channels but still the same performace drop after a few hours.

I had all the usual suggestions from the help desk about interference and moving ther hub away from my phone etc. My openreach box and hub are near to my cordless phone and the hub sits on top of the openreach box, this was the case for over a year with no effect on the wireless performance. If I move the hub it makes no difference, I moved it closer to my computer as far as the cables would allow so it was at the door of our study and still low signal after a couple of hours. However, if I connect a 4 metre long ethernet cable to the hub I immediately get 37mb again. Trouble is my wife doesn't like the cables across the floor!!

Is the problem something to do with my home hub 3 wireless circuits? Hope someone can shed some light on this problem before I resort to buying a new router.

If you are experiencing this problem on only one Laptop then when the speed drops try disabling and then enabling your wireless card adapter and see if the speed increases. Please post back.

0 Ratings
glyn1970
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Just had a similar problem with WiFi dropping out after few seconds. Try logging into the router and changing the WiFi channel. After having this problem for 2 days, I called BT helpdesk, they called me back within the hour, scanned the nearby access points, logged into the router and changed the channel. Has now been stable for 3 hours+. BT have also arranged to call back Saturday to make sure it is still working. So nice one Helpdesk, not often BT get praise.
0 Ratings
GPayne
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

We did all the manual changing of channels etc but still the problem persisted. I have now got a new HH5 and this has cured the problem. 

0 Ratings
TraLew
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Hi Geoff
We have got the same problem with the Home Hub 3. I just wanted to ask if you resigned on your current contract or took out a completely new one to get a free HH5??
Thanks T
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@TraLew wrote:
Hi Geoff
We have got the same problem with the Home Hub 3. I just wanted to ask if you resigned on your current contract or took out a completely new one to get a free HH5??
Thanks T

You will need to start 12 month contract and try to negotiate a HH5 as part of that. BT will not normally automatically send out a HH5 just because you have recontracted.

If you are having problems with the HH3 and it is faulty and you are still in contract you should be able to get it replaced  free of charge.

If you do not wish to recontract you can buy replacement third party routers for about £25 upwards which you may find are better than the Homehubs.