cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Poor latency with ping plotter and awful gameplay lag

IMG_3789.jpeg

Evening all. I have been struggling recently with latency issues while gaming hard wired. I originally noticed issues while gaming so have been running tests on the smart hub 2 which fluctuates at hop 1 between 1ms and 110ms and recently got an asus router in pppoe mode that fluctuates between 1 and 65ms. Anyone know what’s causing this and the average round trip to be so high considering everything is hard wired?

I have tried swapping out all cables. Factory resetting all gear and even running the tests with a different laptop which obviously is hard wired for testing to which nothing seems to work. Is this out of my control? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Poor latency with ping plotter and awful gameplay lag

Have you tried using the thinkbroadband monitor? Trace Routes..... Roundtrips arent always the best indication as you do not control the route your traffic takes to its destination and I doubt BT will be able to do anything either.

If I was you head over to Think Broadband and setup the free Broadband Monitor, it will ping your router via its external IP address and give you data to be able to actually monitor your latency, its good to have running anyway to be honest but it will give you a better idea in my opinion, heres mine for example:

Broadband Quality Monitor | thinkbroadband

Its good to see the baseline data along with loss packets.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Ok will try it. Do you know what’s causing the ping to fluctuate so much on ping plotter. The issue is definitely hop 1 and it’s happening on both the smart hub and the asus. It should be a steady line not so much up and down in a pattern like it is.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Issue sorted. Phoned up BT technicians. Hard reset my ONT problem solved. Round trip 7ms now that’s average aswell. Goes as low as 3ms and gameplay is very responsive now. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Still setup that think broadband latency test, you can keep an eye on things all the time then 🤞

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings