cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Poor performance from 2.4GHz WiFi

I have a Smart Hub 6 and for about the past 6 weeks I've been experiencing poor performance on the 2.4GHz wireless channel.  At times connections have dropped out altogether, at other times the download speed has been unacceptable - insufficient to stream movies (Mubi / BBC iPlayer through Roku).  There have been no changes to devices on my network.

What's the best way for me to investigate the cause of the problem and if necessary escalate to BT for resolution?

This is the output of the Smart Hub information tab:

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084318+NQ71743244

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E020

Firmware updated:

01-Apr-2020

Board version:

Gui version:

WAN:

PPP Connected

Data sent / received:

432 MB Uploaded / 1000 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-6S82

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-6S82-5

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 48)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 2

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

F4:6B:EF:49:FA:EB

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Poor performance from 2.4GHz WiFi

Are you using a modem as there are no connection stats

any reason that you changed wireless to mode 2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Ah yes, we set wireless mode 2 when we first started experiencing dropouts thinking that it was older devices that were losing connection, maybe it would be worth setting that back to mode 1?

We have FTTP, connecting through an EchoLife terminal.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

You have the networks split and I would suggest you try setting the channels manually by using a wifi analyser on your phone and find networks near you and also channels in use then select a free or less congested channel

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thanks, I've downloaded an app to my phone to check that out and unfortunately there are no good options there!  We're in a small three-storey townhouse, lots of other sources around us, and in the area of the AV stand with our Sonos and Roku devices our signal is drowned out (first image).  This is only about 5 metres away from the hub.

Channel graph in the area of our Sonos and Roku  devicesChannel graph in the area of our Sonos and Roku devices

Near the hub of course the signal is much stronger!

Channel graph in the Study near the SmartHubChannel graph in the Study near the SmartHub

0 Ratings