cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
batemanldn
Message 1 of 4

Poor wifi performance since upgrading to fibre + HH5. How to use Asus RT-AC68U router again

Hi all,

I've tried and tried but i have had no luck so I'm posting up here hoping someone might be able to help me.

Since upgrading my internet connection to the top Infinity package my wifi speeds appear to be a lot poorer. The HH5 cannot find my printer, i cannot stream my HD movies from my wired WDCloud and general connection to laptops seems to drop out not and again.

I would like to go back (if possible?) to using my Asus RT-AC68U router as an access point with a wired connection to the HH5 for internet connection. The Asus RT-AC68U router has top spec wireless capabilities for speed so this makes sense.

I know it works because the BT engineer installed it and kept my Asus working but i had to disconnect everything to put it away properly and it hasn't orked since!

Please help with how I should be setting this up.

I need to conenct the following...

2x 4GB WDCloud

1x XBOX ONE

1x Sky HD

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Poor wifi performance since upgrading to fibre + HH5. How to use Asus RT-AC68U router again

You can not use the Homehub 5 as a modem to connect your Asus to.  If you want to continue using your Asus RT-AC68U you can but you would need to get an Openreach modem from an auction site, they cost under £20, and connect it to your Asus. 

Personally that would be the option that I would go for. There are numerous posts on this forum about problems with the wireless on the Homehub 5.

0 Ratings
batemanldn
Message 3 of 4

Re: Poor wifi performance since upgrading to fibre + HH5. How to use Asus RT-AC68U router again

I'd be fine with this if the BT installer didnt leave with the Asus connected and working through the HH5. He didnt need to do any set up on the Asus, aparently just plugged it in and there was no set up required (i wasnt in at the time he installed it)

Because of this, there must be a way to use the Asus with the HH5... ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@batemanldn wrote:

I'd be fine with this if the BT installer didnt leave with the Asus connected and working through the HH5. He didnt need to do any set up on the Asus, aparently just plugged it in and there was no set up required (i wasnt in at the time he installed it)

Because of this, there must be a way to use the Asus with the HH5... ?

Are you saying that the Asus is presently connected to the Homehub 5 and that it was connected by the installer or are you saying that before you had Infinity installed the Asus was connected up the same way as the Homehub 5?

If you previously had ADSL "normal" broadband, your Asus would be connected to the phone socket. The Asus has an ADSL modem integrated into it.

When you got Infinity, you need a VDSL modem. The Homehub 5 has a VDSL mode integrated into it. It also plug into the phone socket.

You can not have the HH5 connected as a modem only with the Asus connected up as the router.

You could set the Asus up as a repeater but this would in my opinion be a cumbersome method of trying to get a better wireless signal.

0 Ratings