cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Poor wifi performance

Hi everyone,

Since moving home a 18 months ago our BT internet performance has been poor at best. I have on a number of ocassions spoken to BT and everytime they have told me that there is no issue with the service....

In optimum conditions a speed test on the router (via BT app / website) will show a Download Speed of 21Mbps to the hub. Third party test shows 15-20Mbps Download and 1.2 Upload.

The connection also drops out a number of times during the day (BT test still will say 21mbps Hub) however third party  test show download speed has dropped to 0-1.5mbps. After around 10-15 mintues the third party test will show 15-20Mbps again.

Upload speed never goes higher than 1.2Mbps and if anyone tries to send a video or a few photos via Whatsapp it seems like the Download just stops - for example if we are streaming a show on Netflix etc, it will just start buffering until the whatsapp has sent and it can take upto 5 minutes to send a 30sec video!

I have the bt disc network in the house but it makes no difference if i am stood next to the BT router which is connectioned to the main phone socket (this was recently replaced by open reach)

Any advice will be greatly appriecated

stary47_0-1624800826816.png

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Poor wifi performance

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

from dslchecker your estimated range is 22/14mb and you have 18mb connection so well within expected range

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

Hi thanks for quick response.

The phone line has been replaced and tested a number of times by a Open Reach engineer so there is no issue in that sense.
Like i said the speed to the hub is fine (or so it says) but real world speed and stablity is far less.
I would understand if i were doing the test in a far reached part of the house but all the tests are done next to the router so there should be no issue with the wifi signal to the device.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

there are no guarantees with download using wifi  what speeds do you get using ethernet baring in mind that dslchecker shown connection speed at 18 so download will be less nearer 16mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Yes, however i am not getting 16mbs i am getting around 1mbs and when its stops working.

My issue is not with the speed as such as when it is working, download speed is fine. It is the realability that is the problem 😑

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Can you post hub stats.

Is it your wif that is dropping or is the hub dropping internet connect and hub light changing from blue.

Have you turned of smart setup?

Have you tried using WiFi analyser to see channels in use near you and select channel manually instead of leaving on auto

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

It seems to be the wifi its self as the hub lights remains blue.
I will take a look at the WiFi analyser when i am home from work.
Cheers
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hi @stary47 and thanks for posting.

Sorry you're having a few problems. have you tried changing wireless channels? Have you switched off smart set up? have you checked for any REIN  issues?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings