Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mrbrooks
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Port 1024 OPEN

Go to solution

Hi all, first off I apoloigise if this post is in the wrong place, or if you feel this has been asked before (please point me in the right direction if so)...

Ok, so a few days ago, I started using my HH3 as a drop in for my own router which has begun flaking out on the wireless and I have ordered a HH5 as it was such a good price, to get me through until I can get another router that suits my demands as it were...HH5 will be here Weds/Thurs...

Anyway, I did a port scan from my Win 7 and 8 machines, using Shields Up initially and then also with network tools on my Linux server/laptop and also tools from ping.eu, they all show the same results...

Port 1024 is OPEN and Port 1025 is listed as Closed (which is suppose is ok), all other privileged service ports (sub 1024) are stealthed/unresponsive as expected. It has been this way since I set up the HH3 about 3 days ago now.

I have had the HH3 since Feb 2013 and it has never been used, so I also noticed a FW update or something similar in the logs yesterday, so I wondered if this had made changes and the ports had been closed, but the result is the same as above.

I have also tested it with all but one machine disconnected physically and WiFi disabled. Same result.

I have read some stuff about port 1024 being used by the BT Vision box; however, I do not have a BT vision Box! I do however have a Humax Free Sat HDR-S1000 box and an LG Smart TV both connected to the network via Powerline/ Home Plug Style network adapters (Which ARE ones used by BT Vision at least a year ago now, the SimplerNetworks - White Ones, I got them from my mom when BT upgraded her kit last year and she got nice new shiny black ones)..

Below are details of my HH3.

• Product name: BT Home Hub 3.0B
  • Firmware version: V100R001C01B036SP05_L_B. Last updated 18/01/14
  • Board version: VER.D
  • Boot loader:    1.0.37-106.5

Mods I have made are, changed WiFi name, changed the NTP servers, added port forwards for RDP, HTTP from list selection and custom forwards for SSH, Webmin, FTP, I also have DynDNS using a single host and I have disabled uPnP.

So, does anyone have any idea what this may be? Why these ports are open? How the heck to close them?

Will I have the same issue with HH5?

Any thoughts and advice is most welcome…

mrbrooks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Port 1024 OPEN

Go to solution

It may be enabled in the firmware, to allow BT to poll the BT Vision box, is one is connected.

If you have nothing running on that port, then its not going to matter.

I have a BTV box, and Wireshark shows lots of activity on port 1024, as its the main path to the vision servers.

I use an old HH1, but there is nothing in the configuration file that would open port 1024 by default.

This may have changed for the later home hubs.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Regarding port 1024.

I have a vision box that when connected port 1024 is open (confirmed on shields up), when it's not connected port 1024 is closed.

I didn't recall port 1024 being shown as open before a certain date (when?), but then I noticed it was open. Before I noticed the vision box had been connected 24/7. I thought I was quite savvy when monitoring things like this, but Keith corrected me when he helped on a thread I started.

You could try disconnecting each device and running shields up until you see port 1024 closed - you've then found what the device is.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
mrbrooks
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Hi all, update here...

I have been running a few little tests here to see what is happening re port 1024...

OK it seems that the home plugs are the culprits, whenever they are plugged in both ports 1024 and 1025 Open and shortly after port 1025 is showing Closed but port 1024 is still Open. Whenever the home plugs are removed from the network both ports show as stealthed, just as they should.

So for some reason the plugs are opening the ports, I assume this is because these ports on the Simpler Networks plugs used them for the BT Vision Box...

My Solution, is to remove them from my network, simple as that...

Thanks all...

mrbrooks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

@mrbrooks wrote:

Hi all, update here...

I have been running a few little tests here to see what is happening re port 1024...

OK it seems that the home plugs are the culprits, whenever they are plugged in both ports 1024 and 1025 Open and shortly after port 1025 is showing Closed but port 1024 is still Open. Whenever the home plugs are removed from the network both ports show as stealthed, just as they should.

So for some reason the plugs are opening the ports, I assume this is because these ports on the Simpler Networks plugs used them for the BT Vision Box...

My Solution, is to remove them from my network, simple as that...

Thanks all...

mrbrooks

(my bold)

Not here they don't.

Are yours the ones supplied by BT? Mine are* and port 1025 has never opened.

*you'll find these are locked with some additional BT softwareSmiley Mad. The ones direct from the manufacturer are not locked and they also come with a utility CD, which can be downloaded directly from their site. I did try to use this but they don't work on the BT ones.

0 Ratings
mrbrooks
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

The plugs were supplied by BT...

And I can 100% assure you, the plugs are causing both mentioned ports to open...there is no doubt about it, whenever they are removed, the ports close, when they are re-introduced, the ports open...

Why I do not know, there is clearly somethin triggering this but I have no interest in digging any further im afraid.

Maybe your info will help others of course...

Thanks

mrbrooks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

I wasn't doubting you at all and I guess they must be different versions.

But at least you've found the cause:).

The trigger is possibly due to BT monitoring their network.

0 Ratings
mrbrooks
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution
Yeah the odd part DS is that I dont even have a BT Vision Box!

I got the plugs from my mom last year when BT upgraded her kit, ie router, plugs and a new BTV box...

Anyway, I just gave them to my bro who already has 2 of the plugs, and he is happy to have 2 more sockets on his network, so everyone is happy!!!

thanks again...

mrbrooks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

I guess that not having a box but having the plugs could also trigger the port events as the plugs were meant to be used for the box. BT might see the plugs and were looking for a box....? I currently use mine to extend my wifi range but did have a box on the network too.

Good to see that you've passed the plugs on rather than them collecting dust:).

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

I've just tested my system with ShieldsUp and found that port 1024 is open.

I use Win 7, BT YouView box, a HH5 and the BT black power adaptors.

Is there anything I can do to close this port? It appears to be a security risk. The Hub Firewall is set to Default ("Allow all outgoing connections and block all unsolicited incoming traffic. Games and application sharing is allowed".) A search on these forums shows that there has been some discussion about this in respect of earlier HomeHubs, but not the HH5.

Is there any official BT advice on this?

0 Ratings