cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Charley_Lima
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Port Forwarding / Windows Home Server / 2700HGV

I am a residential customer on BT Broadband Option 3 Due to the distance from the exchange, BT provided me with a 2700HGV Business Hub which did appear to handle the speeds and connection better than the Home Hub. My 2700HGV gave up the ghost and I was relegated to the Home Hub 2 [as I make great use of Broadband Talk, the HH3 was inappropriate] as BT have decided in their wisdom that residential customers no longer receive Business designated kit. I have an HP Mediasmart Home Server which requires Ports 80, 443 and 4125 to be open to permit remote connection and web site access. This worked well with my old 2700HGV but does not work with the HH2 as while this router lists UPnP and Port Forwarding in its functions, they don't. I have now managed to buy a 2700HGV, set it up in exactly the same way as previously but can get nowhere. I had a feeling that the BT MacAfee firewall might be the problem and disabled this with no difference. If I choose DMZ mode in the router, a new IP address is given to the Home Server but I am then dened access. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Port Forwarding / Windows Home Server / 2700HGV

See this web page, I suspect the internal workings are the same as the HH3.

Port forwarding with home hub

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Charley_Lima
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi Keith

No, the workings are quite different it appears.

There are BT manuals on Port Forwarding but remote connections have proved almost impossible

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Can you not use the HH2, port forwarding works fine on that. I assume its the issue of a long line?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

It also might be worth reading the posts on the business forum http://business.forums.bt.com/

there are posts there relating to port forwarding.

0 Ratings
Charley_Lima
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

port forwarding does not 'work fine' on the HH2 or I would be using it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@Charley_Lima wrote:
port forwarding does not 'work fine' on the HH2 or I would be using it.

There are threads on my web page with people who have it working. I have experimented with a HH2, and provided you port map to a static IP address, outside of the home hubs DHCP range, then it works fine.

Mapping to device names usually fails.

It does mean setting your home servers network card to a static IP address, and not DHCP.

See Static IP with Home Hub

0 Ratings