We have BT Infinity using a BT Home Hub 5 and I have recently installed OS X Server to create my own VPN. However, I cannot seem to get the hub to open the ports I desire using the port forwarding tool - I have tried everything I can think of including (and a combination of all these things in one way or another)...
The ports I am trying to enable, but stay closed are:
And I have selected the 'Any' protocol in desperation, but they still show up closed on an online port checker tool like canyouseeme.org
I create a custom application in the hub to cover these ports, and out of curiousity I added port '5900' (VNC Port) to the list, which curiously IS open when I check it, but the hub seems to refuse to open any of the other ports.
I am beginning to think there may be something up with the router... I've Googled and spent a few hours on failing to solve this simple problem... does anyone else have any ideas?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Hi. Thanks for that! Found that whilst Googling, unfortunately didn't seem to get anywhere with it.
As mentioned, I disabled uPnP. I have also assigned a static IP manually on the device versus the hub. I have checked and it appears I am not sharing my IP address, which is re-enforced by the fact I can seem to get the port for VNC 5900 open for the same IP, even though the others remained closed...
Still at a loss I'm afraid!
Are those ports configured as TCP or UDP?
Do you have the server running at the moment, and is any firewall that you have, allowing connections?
Do you have any spaces in the device or application names?
What LAN IP is the server using?
Just to add another suggestion.
Instead of creating a new application, copy an existing built in one, and modify the ports, then save it as a new application name.
Start again with just one port, say port 500 TCP, and see if that works. This has been reported as a possible issue.
The ports were a mixture of both, but ultimately I selected 'Any' after selecting the specifics for what they were without success. Firewalls were down on the device, and the LAN IP was static. However, I have seemed to manage to solve the problem.
The weird bit is, the port still claims to be closed on several port discovery websites. It's just with a bit more fiddling, I can now connect to the services running on these ports externally from my network, when I couldn't before. I'm not exactly sure how I got to this point, and why the readings still exist as they are - but now it seems to be working reliably, I can't complain!
As I said though, thank you for you help :smileyhappy:
Remember, the port discovery websites can only test TCP ports, not UDP. I use Microsoft PortQuery tool, from a remote connection like a 3G mobile data. This can test both TCP and UDP.
The main thing is that you have it working now:smileyhappy: Port forwarding seems to give people a lot of problems, when it should just work without any issues.
Common problems seem to be.
Having spaces in either device names or application names.
Failing to apply the settings on every step of the way.
Being on CG-NAT (IP address sharing)
Forgetting to open any firewall connections.
Relying on DHCP to allocate the IP address, instead of setting it on the device itself.